Headlight, turn, horn switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight, turn, horn switch

The one on my bike works fine, but I really liked one feature about the 250 Suzuki trail bike I drove in my riding class. The turn signal switch had a button to cancel the signal. I've have trained myself pretty well not only to remember to signal but also to turn it off. But sometimes I wonder. I hate looking down. And sometimes I wonder did I just turn it off or did I just turn on the other signal. Well with that cancel button you don't wonder you push it and it's off that's it no guessing and continue to think about driving. Well problem is I saw a picture of one for sale some where and now that I really want one I can't pull hardly anything up. Isn't that how it always works. Anyway just thought I'd ask if anyone put one on or knows where to get one.

What bike do you have?

You might already have self-cancelling signals, so you might not need the 'cancel' function.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It's a 82 gs850gl. I know that it came with that, but when I got the bike it had a different relay and all the wires to put the correct relay in are no longer there. I have a led relay in now for when I get that far to run led signals. And I could care less if the harness matches. The harnesses on the bike are so cracked and brittle when I do anything I first have to think about how to work in a wire harness of my own because they brake taking them apart. So far a trailer harness has worked.

I like the idea of the cancel switch, but i have also run into a signal beeper in my searching. Seems like it would be an easier, quicker, and cheaper fix. Not to mention having the same problem with forgetting to hit the cancel button right away or at all. Does anyone have one of these or used one? They all seem to start beeping the second the signal is turned on. They have to be loud enough to hear, but are the so loud people look and think "is that bike really backing up?"

Comment

The cancel switch only works on a system that has functioning self-cancelling signals.
        Therefore, you may have to resign yourself to a beeper. Good news, though, you can get one at Radio Shack.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

the cancel switch that I am talking about is a switch that you press with your thumb. It makes the sliding signal switch go back to the center. I have seen one on ebay now that was kinda pricey. It had a red arrow pointing into the assembly meaning a cancel button for the signals. The 250 I drove had a big yellow button in the middle of the switch.

as for the beeper thanks for the link. I may just try it and forget about the changing the left controls if I like it. It's cheap enough to just give it a shot.

Comment

My Wing has a similar cancel feature, but it also has auto turn signals. Where the GS switch has five positions, the one on my Wing only has three. If I push to either side to activate a signal, the switch returns to the center. Pushing it in will cancel the signal before the auto system does. On the GS, pushing to activate the left signal, you push it to position #1, which is then spring-loaded to return the switch to #2, where it stays. Moving the switch to #3 in the center will cancel the signal.

If what you are describing is merely a mechanical centering device, it might work.

Whether you have self-cancelling signals or not, it is always a good idea to check the status of your lights after every turn. I had a bike previously that didn't always cancel, so I got in the habit of checking.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

Try the XJ650 switch, I think you may find that is what you are after.

You will see a flat on the front of the plastic lever for pushing the lever in to cancel the flashers. As has been said the lever returns to the centre after putting the flasher on and pressing the lever in towards the bars cancels the flashers.

Hope this helps.

Comment

As a bonus you get the choke lever as well.

Comment

All my XS650s had that feature. Press in and cancell.
                  I have some extra self-cancel boxes if you need one.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    All my XS650s had that feature. Press in and cancell.
                    I have some extra self-cancel boxes if you need one.
                    Yeah, but I'll be they had electronic self-cancellers, too.

No doubt the 'push to cancel' feature works to stop the electronics, but I get the impression that biker guy is looking for something that will physically return a manual system to the OFF position with a single motion, regardless of whether it was activated for left or right signal.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

yes the one on the 250 I drove had a mechanical cancel button. My dad has an 05 Shadow and he told me that his was mechanical. I'm sure there are many bikes out there that have the mechanical cancel. It couldn't be any more complex and how and ink pen clicks.

Comment

Originally posted by biker_guy View Post
                        It couldn't be any more complex and how and ink pen clicks.
                        You would be surprised about that. A pen only goes one way, then returns from that position. The turn signal switch can go two ways. My guess is still that those bike with the cancel button also have self-cancelling systems. Can you verify that for me?

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

I would push the turn-signal button in and it would return to center and hence cancel the signal. No electronic self-cancel on the XS. At least up to 77.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks, Chef, I asked that because I know the XS750 had self-cancellers, did not know whether the 650 did or not.
                            In fact, I believe the XS750 was the first bike (in 1976) to have a self-cancelling system. I could be wrong, though.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

The XJ650 switch which I have on my 550 is a mechanical switch. You push it in and it returns the nylon block with the contacts on it to the central(off) position.

Some rewiring maybe required, but it should not be too difficult. The added bonus of this switch is that it has a choke lever, same style as later GS models. And if you get the switch from Australia, England and the Continent you will get a passing switch as well. See pics below.

Comment

Working...
                              X