Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Images of GS with 1st-Generation GSXR gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Images of GS with 1st-Generation GSXR gear?

I'm looking for Images or Links to Images of some GS's with the 1st-Generation GSXR Rims/Wheels and/or Suspension. '85-'87.
    It's easy to find images with the 3-spoke rims...

I have only found a couple, but I'm looking for more.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bump.......

Comment

Hi,

I think Mr. 80GS1000 has done a front end upgrade on his bike and fabricated a monoshock upgrade with a new swingarm. Maybe send him a PM.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Kinda an open ended question

Not really sure what U are looking for but this has 18" wheels with a 160 on the back. 86 GSXR 1100 forks. U can compare the side profile to my more or less stock GS1100ED below. I'm working on a three spoke wheel conversion with bandit swinger here.
        Waiting on the weather to improve so I can get the painting booth together.

Looking at them side by side, doesn't look like a big change but performance wise the wheels will be much wider, radial tires, much better brakes and stiffer forks. Bandit swinger is a big plus in stiffness over stock GS1100E swinger as well. All in all should just give it a meaner look but still look pretty stock.

Pos

Last edited by posplayr; 02-26-2009, 01:32 PM.

Comment

is this what you are looking for?

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

This pic below (burgundy & black 6-spoke rims) is of the only bike that I have found pics of what I'm looking for. And yes, this is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for... but I'm looking for any additional images or angles of this setup, whether on this exact bike or a different GS. I did PM the owner of this one, but I haven't heard anything back yet.

This bike has the original 6-spoke GSXR wheels, brakes & forks. There are numerous pics & info out there on the newer 3-spoke GSXR wheels & suspension. But it's this setup that I'm trying to get a feel for, before I would actually spend $ on the purchase of '85-'87 hardware.

This rim/suspension setup seems much less common then the newer 3-spoke... hence my struggle in finding more pics of it mounted on a GS.

I appreciate everyone's help & I hope to find some more examples. Thanks again.

Originally posted by posplayr View Post

Comment

81 gs 750 with 1100 engine and swingarm,85 gsxr wheels,brakes and front end.

Comment

Nice GS. Thank you for posting the pic. I appreciate it.

So since you have installed the early GSXR Front-End & Rims (GS1100 swingarm as well) on your bike... did the conversion go pretty smoothly?

How do you feel about the bike afterwords, did it meet/exceed your needs or expectations? Would you recommend this to someone else, or possibly suggest a different path?

Thank you for your time
                Originally posted by jimbunt1 View Post
                81 gs 750 with 1100 engine and swingarm,85 gsxr wheels,brakes and front end.

Comment

Bike turns easier ,reduced weaves and wobbles and brakes are better.
                  Front forks have reduced travel compared to the original and the ride is rougher.
                  The conversion was straightforward,although some aluminum welding is required for the steering stops and bracket mounted to the swingarm to connect the rear caliper torque arm.
                  Also some machining for the rear axle spacers and handlebar adaptor (if not using clip-ons.
                  Using stock GSXR rear sprocket (530) with carrier machined to move sprocket in 5/8".
                  Lots of great info on this forum from other members who have done this swap.

Jim

Comment

here is one

Comment

I saw that one just last night, & I thought to myself... "holy crap, there's one right there!"

Comment

Take a look thru the hall of fame, lots in there with the mods you're looking for.

One of my favs

Keith
                        -------------------------------------------
                        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

this is my 82 750 Katana. Has GS1100 engine and the mentioned rolling gear from 86/87 GSXR1100. 160 rear.

In my opinion great improvement. A lot less movement in turns and a new world of brakes. But you should rebuild the GSXR front calipers. they are over 20 years now and steal you a lot of lever travel on the pump. After I rebuilt them great brakes! Also change the oil in the forks, disaasmble and do a good cleanup. 20 years of questionable maintenance leave a lot of dirt. Need to look around to find good tires in 18" with these wheels. My choice is Bridgestone BT020.

Comment

Sweet looking Katana Flo.

I'm doing research to try & come up with a "plan" for my '77 GS. My front fork tubes are rusty, a crap single front brake, rusty spoke wheels & etc. I only paid $75 for the bike 2 years ago.

I pretty much know that I do not plan on going with Inverted Forks. So to keep a nice balance between aggressiveness & not too far out-of-era look (well from those that don't know anything, anyways)... & to keep costs as low as possible... I'm debating between a setup like you have, or more era-specific gear from a '77-'83 GS 850, 1000 or 1100.
                            Well and of course I want to improve the performance of the bike as well...

Thanks for the informative reply... sweet bike.

Originally posted by Flo View Post
                            this is my 82 750 Katana. Has GS1100 engine and the mentioned rolling gear from 86/87 GSXR1100. 160 rear.

In my opinion great improvement. A lot less movement in turns and a new world of brakes. But you should rebuild the GSXR front calipers. they are over 20 years now and steal you a lot of lever travel on the pump. After I rebuilt them great brakes! Also change the oil in the forks, disaasmble and do a good cleanup. 20 years of questionable maintenance leave a lot of dirt. Need to look around to find good tires in 18" with these wheels. My choice is Bridgestone BT020.

Comment

Flo

Originally posted by Flo View Post

I see you left the rear brake caliper in the upper position. Did U use a GS caliper with the GSXR rotor? I assume you had to modify (bend) the swing arm to clear the 160 rear (18x4" wheel).

I have found that Dunlop Road smart is a modern 18" tire and there is even a 170/60-18 if you want a little more meat to the rear (18x4.5" wheel only).

Also see you polished the lips on the wheels. How much trouble was that? Do you spin the wheel in a stand and hold sand paper to the lip?

Very nice understated stock look by the way.
                              Pos

Comment

Working...
                              X