X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb vacuum hoses

1979 GS850 VM carbs, just rebuilt.

Heres the question,
    There are 3 vacuum fittings on the carb rack, carbs 2,3 and 4. petcock draws from 3... 2 and 4 vent to atmosphere, correct?

During dissasembly I noticed the PO had 2 and 4 connected jumped together, as opposed to atmosphere. I reassembled the way i thought was correct (to atmosphere) but cyl 4 was not firing, (good spark, float bowl had gas, plug dry). I jumped 2 and 4 back together, and voila, I have all for cyls again.

Was I wrong about 2 and 4 venting to air, or is something else up?

Vent or Vacuum?

Vacuum connections are never vented to air? Lean running, rough idle,missing among others are the side effects.

Vents are exposed to atmosphere for "venting" purposes.

I don't know about your specific setup but if you have a vacuum operated petcock then it needs to be connected to a vacuum source such as your carb vacuum nipple.

If you have any other vacuum sources they should be plugged because it will not run right if you don't.

Comment

Your set up is spot on - 3 to the vaccuum side of the tap and 2 & 4 vented to the open air - usually tucked over the top of the airbox (on the sides).
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
        Your set up is spot on - 3 to the vaccuum side of the tap and 2 & 4 vented to the open air - usually tucked over the top of the airbox (on the sides).
        Thats what I thought, untill I got no gas to cyl 4. I crossed the vent over from 2 to 4 (as I found it when i dissasembled it) and suddenly #4 was getting gas. I won't complain too much, because it works now, but I am curious as to why #4 doesn't get gas when both 2 and 4 are vented to air.

Comment

Carb 4 is still pluged, the pressure from connecting the two together forces fuel into the carb. Some remove the hose altogether when
          using jet kit

Comment

Hmmmm......

I guess I didn't understand the question?

Comment

Working...
            X