Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mirrors with Superbike bars

Hey folks,

I just installed some superbike bars on my 82 gs650, but now the mirrors won't give me the right view no matter how I try to adjust them. Any suggestions on what to replace them with?

Thanks,
    Greg.
    82 gs650E

Bar end mirrors...do a search...

I've got some cheap ones, hope to get better ones...

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Comment

bend 'em

Is it possible to bend the stalks on the stock mirrors to get the angle right? Perhaps heat them up first?

Comment

You can also use your stock mirror, depending which mirrors you have, as barends. If you access to a drill and a welder, youre halfway there. If you weld a threaded slug into the end of your bars with the same threads as your mirror mounts, youve just made barends. Ill be doing this as soon as my 3/4" tubing shows so I can start making my straight dragbars.

Just figure out the thread pitch and size. The ones on my 80 GS750 are 14mm x 1.50 I think. You can find threaded inserts at McMaster Carr or drill and thread a piece of cold roll round bar (thats the way Im going) Drill 2 holes about 3/8" in the handle bars about 3/4" from the end. This will give you a place to weld the insert in place without fumbling with trying to weld the handlebar end. Use a flap wheel on a grinder to smooth the welds down. Just dont smooth it too much, just enough to be able to get your controls and grips back on. Let it cool and I use a selfetching prime. This keeps it from rusting down the road. And since youre covering this area with controls and grips, no need to paint. Reinstall your controls and grips. Thread your mirrors on and tighten the jam nut. Done. You can shorten the mirror mounts but that will involve more toys...er I mean tools and time. No need in spending $40 or $50 on something you can do.

Comment

Search for Mr Goodmirror

I tried a few mirrors over the winter. First I will say that I have superbike handlebars on my GS1100G and am using the OEM Suzuki round mirrors. They are by a long measure the best. I get a big, rock solid view behind. However they're expensive at $70 each (bike bandit), plus a $12 intivibration cushion.
            I put clubman bars on my GS550T, it came with rectangular sport mirrors, but their too low and inboard, I see mostly my arm. I tried some ebay bar end mirrors, (like the ones dardoonk shows above). They are convex, give a good view behind and look cool, but are small and get bumped easy. I haven't road tested them, but I suspect they would be subject to vibration.
            On Ebay, I found some OEM style replacement, long stem, round convex mirrors from Taiwan, for about $20 a pair. I like them better than bar end mirrors. However their build quality does not compare to Suzuki, but good enough to keep.
            Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 02-25-2009, 09:29 AM. Reason: to edit.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
            X