Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mr. wilson08,

Originally posted by wilson08
    I was wondering if I should stay with stock size tire on my bike or if I could go a little wider. Does it make a difference on these old bikes.

I have heard somewhere that these old bikes handle better with skinny tires. What are your thoughts.
    What bike are we talking about?

Without modifications, these old bike need to use as close to stock tire sizes as possible. The tires I use are a little wider than "original stock" because tires aren't really made in those sizes any more. You have to get either a little smaller or a little bigger than original. But you can't go too big because the rim is not wide enough for wider tires and pinching the tread will lead to handling and wear irregularities.

I think the most popular size for a front tire on 650cc or larger GS bikes is a 100/90. I use a 110/90 just to make Mr. bwringer mad. But it also helps with the speedo offset and seems more stable on my freeway commute.

From what I've gathered from others it seems the most popular rear tire size is a 120/90 for 750cc and smaller, 130/90 for 850cc and larger. I imagine there are a few who use a 140/90 on the rear, if the swingarm has clearance.

Smaller bikes (550cc or less) will usually use 90/90 on front and 110/90 on the rear.

But again, let us know what bike you are riding to make it easier to recommend tire sizes.

EDIT: I just went through your old posts and it seems you ride an '85 700E. Put that in your sig to make it more convenient. What size are your wheels? I have a notion that you should use a 100/90 on front and 120/90 on the rear. Let's see if the other 700 riders will chime in.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 03-06-2009, 03:36 PM.

Comment

You're the man, Cliff!
      It's surprising how many riders have never been shown this simple info.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
        You're the man, Cliff!
        It's surprising how many riders have never been shown this simple info.
        Aww shucks, Billy. Thanks. But I didn't think this stuff up. I just decided to document it and share it here. A lot of folks here, including you, know more about this stuff than I do. I'm just trying to give back some of what I've learned from all of you.

Group hug!

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Group hug!

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Mr. Steve!

I've got a special hug for you!

BassCliff

Comment

Thank you to BassCliff!

I just wanted to say thanks for posting this info Cliff , upon inspection, my tires had the date code 033.

Rest assured that I already have the new front tire mounted, new rear tire on Monday/Tuesday, and I will not be riding the bike in-between now and then. (mostly because I have no ignitor , but still...)
              Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Macguyver View Post
                I just wanted to say thanks for posting this info Cliff , upon inspection, my tires had the date code 033.
                Hi,

January of 1993? 1983? Wow! You can't change those tires fast enough!

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the info Cliff, fine work as always! From this and other threads on GSR it seems that bike shops and dealers etc charge a pretty stiff fee to change tyres. I know that genuine and aftermarket bike parts are much cheaper in the States than here in Oz so how is it that these people charge so much to change a tyre? Anyone here know the answer?

We get stiffed here on parts but tyres look to be reasonable compared to some of prices mentioned here. The Sport Demons for my 1100 Katana (must check those dates in the morning) supplied and fitted (ride in ride out) at a Suzi Dealer was AUD$149 for the 100/90/19 front, AUD$150 for the 130/80/18 rear. This price also includes the mandatory tyre disposal fee the customer pays to the shop to off-set the cost of tyre disposal. Front and rear Sport Demons supplied and fitted for under US$290 seems pretty fair from what has been stated here. Didn't mean to highjack your thread Cliff, just wanted to provide some tyre details from Oz, cheers.
                  Shin-Ken 1074
                  1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
                  1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

I just wanted to also say thanks to Mr. BassCliff for all of his documentation. It's great to have a point of refernce.

I also wanted to add that the 1st pic that Mr. Steve posted is just wrong!
                    (My humble opinion only)

And for my one cent worth, please take the wheels off yourself. Regardless of who changes the tires. That will give you an opportunity to check that very important spline (if its a shafty) yourself. Remember to take it out and inspect it for wear on the teeth. I just doubt that a shop you are paying to take off the wheels and change the tires will do that.

Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by sscott View Post
                      I also wanted to add that the 1st pic that Mr. Steve posted is just wrong!
                      (My humble opinion only)
                      Thanks.

Just trying to keep my postings up to the incredibly high standards of the forum.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                      X