Interchangablity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interchangablity

What bikes will interchange in parts with a 82 GS850 GL once I get the bike home will be stripping it down to the frame and building back up but will be needing parts as some are missing and broke.

Hi Mr. verles,

It might be easier if you let the good folks here know what kind of parts about which you are curious. One popular research tool is to look up the part numbers in the online parts fiches and compare them. Or you can put your part number in Babbit's search engine and find out what bikes use the same part.

http://www.babbittsonline.com/pages/...1/default.aspx

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Nice bike!

Congrats on the choice, I own the same model and adore it. Your question is probably a little too broad. There's a lot of interchangability in the GS family but it is by no means universal. If you list the parts that you're going to need to replace as you go the friendly and (extraordinarily) knowledgable GSers will be able to help you out.
      Another good place to start is with the parts fiches offered by the online stores that sell the parts for our bikes. Find the parts you need and check the fitment guides. If you track down bikecliff (provided he doesn't find you first) you'll get his guide to all things GS.

Good luck

Comment

I have an '81 GS 1000GL. It was missing the ignition advance and triggering pieces when I got it, and I replaced these with parts from an 850.

Hope this helps...

Incidentally, I've found that the 850's are so plentiful that finding parts for them is not very difficult, there are tons of them in boneyards around the country...

Comment

Gauges (missing), calipers (1 missing ), points and condenser/ignition cover (broke) this is what I can think as of this moment and will find more once the tear down happens also.

Comment

Originally posted by verles View Post
            Gauges (missing), calipers (1 missing ), points and condenser/ignition cover (broke) this is what I can think as of this moment and will find more once the tear down happens also.
            Hi Mr. verles,

Those particular parts will be fairly universal among the larger GS shafties. For example, using the Babbit's resource and typing in the ignition cover part number for the '82 GS850GL, which is 11381-49002, I find that this part is used on the following:

'80-'81 GS1000GL
            '82-'83 GS1100G and GL
            '82-'83 GS850G and GL

If you don't want to order new OEM parts, there's always ebay. Chances are good that there are a few members with parts like that just hanging around in their garage. Keep us informed. I'd like to watch you bring your bike back to life.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
            Last edited by Guest; 02-25-2009, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X