Front brake light switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brake light switch

I had to pull the front brake nearly all the way down to make the brake lights come on so I naturally went to steps c, d, and e before a and b. I took off the small cover with the 2 screws under the brake handle with the wire coming out of it to clean it out. When I did 3 small plastic pieces as well as a tiny spring fell out of the housing (I hope it was only these parts, I looked all over the floor and found nothing else) I have looked and tried every which way but I cant seem to figure out how they all fit back in and in some miracle actually work. Am I missing a piece or am I just a bit slow?

If anyone knows how these go back in or might even have a diagram I would really appreciate it.

what should have fell out was a little plastic torch handel looking thing a spring and a little copper c channel (it may be dirty and look like plastic) they go together like this, torch handle upside down, spring inside the torch handle lookin thing, then the copper c channel (make sure it's cleand) faceing up so it will slide inside the torch handle thing and cover the spring. these then all go up inside the handle copper c channel side down.

try this http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandi...dept_id=142525 # 11 thru 15

ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

WOW

What a great post, Ryan! This is a perfect example of why this website is so helpful.
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Re: Front brake light switch

Its a lot easier if you loosen the pinch bolt that holds the brake cylinder/lever to the handlebars and rotate it 180 deg so the brake light switch is on top. Then when you take the brake light switch cover off, nothing falls out and the pieces can be just dropped back into place for reassembly.

Earl

Originally posted by JohnnyRed
        I had to pull the front brake nearly all the way down to make the brake lights come on so I naturally went to steps c, d, and e before a and b. I took off the small cover with the 2 screws under the brake handle with the wire coming out of it to clean it out. When I did 3 small plastic pieces as well as a tiny spring fell out of the housing (I hope it was only these parts, I looked all over the floor and found nothing else) I have looked and tried every which way but I cant seem to figure out how they all fit back in and in some miracle actually work. Am I missing a piece or am I just a bit slow?

If anyone knows how these go back in or might even have a diagram I would really appreciate it.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thank you all for your help yet once again, I will give it a shot first thing in the morning. Ill let you know how I make out.

Comment

When the copper strip wears out eneough the assembly will fall apart. Might be better off getting a new one. Real cheap, I got one at the Suzuki dealer. Apparently used for many years so a common stock item.

Comment

Originally posted by VStan
              When the copper strip wears out eneough the assembly will fall apart. Might be better off getting a new one. Real cheap, I got one at the Suzuki dealer. Apparently used for many years so a common stock item.
              Yopu can also find them at a salvage yard. The one for the clutch safety switch is the exact same parts and they are interchangable.

Comment

Mine gave me grief for years. I would clean the bugger, and in 3 days it would be back to working like cuk-ka. I replaced it with a pressure switch that replaced the banjo bolt. Works like a charm now!
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                X