new half moons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new half moons

On my list of spring work I am doing another valve check and while the breather and valve cover are off I wanted to change over to the Real Gaskets. I am going to replace my half moons and I remember reading somewhere that real gaskets and new half moons don't get on well. The reason I remember for this is that the new moons need to be compressed into the head by the valve cover with normal torque.

My solution to this right now is to put in the new half moons with a bit of the permatex 2 ( stuff that doesn't dry ) only on the curved part and put the valve cover on sans gasket and torque down to "set" the new moons. Am I goofing by doing this? Anybody else switch to real gaskets and new moons at the same time?

All comments and advice welcome, thanks, Parker

Hi Mr. dr_fosg8,

Anybody else switch to real gaskets and new moons at the same time?

That's exactly what I did. Switched both at the same time, used a little sealant on the curved part of the half moons. No runs, no drips, no errors.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I would use a dab of silicon on the old ones. If using new ones you need to go thru a few heat cycles so check them after a few hours

Comment

Hadn't heard this one...

I just installed new half moons and a new gasket ordered from the local dealer. Seems to be working just fine.

Comment

If you don't go with the real gasket, use a genuine Suzuki OEM valve cover gasket . The generics don't seem to be as good.

However, I bought new "generic" half moons from Z1 & they were MUCH less expensive than the OEM ones. Worked great with the OEM gasket...

I cleaned the engine portion of the half-moons very well, and only installed the new rubber with a light coating of grease. No leaks, no problems.

I also apply a light layer of grease to both the valve cover & engine top before installing the OEM VC gasket. I don't ever want to scrape another "sealed" gasket off again!!!
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Hi Mr. dr_fosg8,

Don't forget, when you use a Real Gasket, you must check and re-torque if necessary after about 100 miles or so. Because these gaskets use only 15 inch-pounds of torque, the bolts can loosen up due to the changing temperatures. I use some thread sealer (NOT thread locker) when I install the valve cover. It helps.

Note: 15 inch pounds is only 1.25 foot pounds. That's barely past finger tight (1/2 to 3/4 turn past finger tight).

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks!

Well after putting in the new half moons and tightening down the cover w/o gasket to seat them in. Removing the cover and puting on the real gasket and retorquing to 15 INCH pounds, that just doesn't seem like it is going to do it. But anyway I followed the directions, all looks really well. Now I just need a day to get out and heat it up and see how it all holds.

Mr. Basscliff, I also applied some thread sealer to the valve cover bolts. I borrowed a dial type torque wrench from work just for this job, reads from 0 to 200 inch pounds. Did your bolts need retorquing after heating up to operating temp?

Comment

Originally posted by dr_fosg8 View Post
                Mr. Basscliff, I also applied some thread sealer to the valve cover bolts. I borrowed a dial type torque wrench from work just for this job, reads from 0 to 200 inch pounds. Did your bolts need retorquing after heating up to operating temp?
                I checked them, but only a few of them had moved very little.

Nice work. Now get out there and ride!

BassCliff

Comment

I'm a little late in posting here, but I'll toss in my .02

A common recommendation here is to install those half moons backwards. Yes, they will fit. This will prevent them from popping out. The camshaft prevents them from popping in.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                    Hi Mr. dr_fosg8,

Don't forget, when you use a Real Gasket, you must check and re-torque if necessary after about 100 miles or so. Because these gaskets use only 15 inch-pounds of torque, the bolts can loosen up due to the changing temperatures. I use some thread sealer (NOT thread locker) when I install the valve cover. It helps.

Note: 15 inch pounds is only 1.25 foot pounds. That's barely past finger tight (1/2 to 3/4 turn past finger tight).

BassCliff
                    A few questions...

BassCliff, where did you find info stating the real gaskets should only have 15 inch pounds of torque? I don't see anything about that on their site...

Also, what are half moons? (Please forgive my ignorance!)

Thanks,
                    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by skiracer View Post
                      Also, what are half moons? (Please forgive my ignorance!)

Thanks,
                      Jon
                      They are the black rubber plugs you'll find under the cam end covers...
                      '85 GS550L - SOLD
                      '85 GS550E - SOLD
                      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                      '81 GS750L - SOLD
                      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Working...
                      X