Exhaust header/muffler question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust header/muffler question

I just got a new set of Mac 4-2 exhaust manifolds and mufflers to replace the beat-up old 4-1 set that the previous owner installed. I have two questions about this setup:

1. Will I still be able to use my kickstand? I have the engine apart right now to replace a cracked piston so I'm just eyeballing the exhaust setup and it's hard to see how the kickstand will fit.

2. Most Importantly: the mounting tabs on the mufflers have holes quite a bit larger than the bolts that go through them. Should there be some sort of rubber bushing in these holes to prevent slop yet still allow a little movement? Or, should the bolts just be tightened down and hope for the best?

Thanks for your help,
    Jay

Re: Exhaust header/muffler question

I've used MAC mufflers on a few bikes in the past. One of their selling points is they make sure access to important things like stands and oil drain bolts is retained.

As for #2, I've never had any rubber bushings in there. If you're concerned about a skinny bolt into a large hole, a washer or two should tidy up the fit. As for tightening, don't use grandpa's two grunt method, snug should be fine, but like any project check it after a brief trial run!

hope this helps...Sam

Originally posted by KnuckleBuster
    I just got a new set of Mac 4-2 exhaust manifolds and mufflers to replace the beat-up old 4-1 set that the previous owner installed. I have two questions about this setup:

1. Will I still be able to use my kickstand? I have the engine apart right now to replace a cracked piston so I'm just eyeballing the exhaust setup and it's hard to see how the kickstand will fit.

2. Most Importantly: the mounting tabs on the mufflers have holes quite a bit larger than the bolts that go through them. Should there be some sort of rubber bushing in these holes to prevent slop yet still allow a little movement? Or, should the bolts just be tightened down and hope for the best?

Thanks for your help,
    Jay

Comment

Thanks Sam. Like I said, my engine is apart right now so I was just eyeing the exhaust and worried a little about the kickstand placement.

As for the hole, another guy I talked to said the same thing about the washers. Hey, might as well give it a try.

Thanks,
      Jay

Comment

I just installed a MAC 4 into 2 on my GFs 81 GS650GL. Bascially, the center and side stand still work. I did notice that the metal stop on the MAC for the center stand when its up causes the stand to bang when it bounces. I am going to add a piece of rubber to the bottom of the stop. Biggest problem I had installing it was that the head pipes were bent slightly off, particularly on the right side. I had to be real careful installing these pipes since I didn't want to strip the heads.

Comment

Working...
        X