Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody ever convert rear on 77gs550 to disk brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody ever convert rear on 77gs550 to disk brakes?

Hello, I was wondering if anybody has ever done/seen a 77gs550 which comes with a drum rear brake get converted to disk brakes? I have a 77gs550 with the disk up front and have been wondering if I could add disk brakes on the rear for extra stopping ability. I know that in 78 the gs550 got built with a rear disk standard for all models from Suzuki on the rear for better braking (also the fancier 77 gs model I think had it........ :? ). I have seen rear brake assemblies (and dual fronts) for sale on Ebay for the gs550 as well as other models. Not sure if and what will work.

Anybody know if its possible to do the conversion?

If so, is it safe/reliable?

What model/year rear disk assemblies are bolt on/compatible if any?

I was told that regardless of displacement the Suzuki frames used from 77 to 80 are almost completly interchangable.....is that correct?

Any advice is appreciated.

convrting 77 gs550 brakes to disks

I haven't seen a conversion but it should be pretty simple.
    You woud need the cast,not wire spoked, rear wheel off a 550 with disk brakes, the brake caliper,hose, rear master cylinder, and link from the master cylinder to the pedal. The mounting tabs for the rear master cylinder are already on your frame behind the right side cover. Everything should just bolt in.
    The 78 and later gs550E models came with rear disk brakes and the cast wheels. Not sure if there was a 77 version or not.
    Good Luck.

Scott

Comment

It would be a very safe upgrade. I have a complete wheel 17" supposed to be from a 550 wheel/axel/cush drive/disc/caliper Shipping is lible to be expensive tho.

Comment

If your experiencing difficulty in stopping the best thing to do is fix/upgrade your front brake. It does nearly all the work. I bet you can still lock the rear tire right now even with your paltry drum brake, right? So it wouldn't make sense to put money into your rear brake just to make you stop 5% quicker. That same money could be used toward the front and net you maybe 30% quicker stopping...... See whadda I mean.....

So the things to look for might be: New pads, machined/bead blasted rotor, caliper and master cyl. rebuild, stainless steel lines (BIG difference!), or if you've got the money and time a new dual disc front end (with the above mentioned work)......

Your front wheel does most all the stopping so it makes sense to spend your money there...... Especially with a single disc system......

Good Luck

Comment

Excellent information. It is unfortunate that I would have to sacrifice the spokes for the conversion but that seems to be the only way to convert the rear. Thanks for the list of parts I will need, I am a little bit concerned about modifying brakes as I am not a pro and that is probably the most important thing on a bike. If its bolt on though, I'm pretty confident I can sort it out.

I really like the idea about beefing up the front, that makes sense since it is the primary stopper. I can lock up the rear using the drum but it is not consistent. Meaning that if I use it a lot, its ability seems to diminish and almost completly fail. I will need to check the rear pads. Can excessive use/heat cause the rear brakes to fail? The fronts are strong even with heavy use.

I thought braided lines were strictly dress up items, and not performance upgrades. I will look into that (not cheap huh?). Thanks

Comment

As for the dual disks up front, would anybody recommend aftermarket items? Are there any aftermarket manufacturers for this old bike? Will the mag weel support duals?

Or......... is there a GS model that came with dual disks up front? That way I could try and use stock Suzuki bike parts. Any suggestions? I like the idea of duals up front..........

Comment

I've got a '79 GS750 with spoked wheels (not cast) that is factory fitted with dual front discs and a disc on the rear spoked (not cast, he he) wheel. I would reckon that the rear wheel, caliper etc off an early GS750 or even maybe a GS1000 would slip straight in, although I think I'd use the whole rear end assembly (wheel, caliper, torque arm, swing arm, master cylinder and brake pedal etc) to make sure that it all goes together right.

I live in Australia, so no point doing a deal on parts as the shipping would be scary, but I have a good mate in Oregon who has an almost complete 77 GS750B with what you need, and I'm sure he'd be happy to sell the necessary parts to you for a reasonable price. Let me know if you're interested and I'll give you his email address.

RE: The front brakes, as mentioned earlier, braided lines are definately an improvement as there is no "swelling" in the lines, so no loss of hydraulic pressure. If you can, try get hold of the front brakes (discs and calipers) off a 1980 or later model GS1000 (slotted discs) as suzuki changed the discs and calipers from 1980 and as I also own a 1979, 1980 and 1981 model GS1000, I can say thay the later set up was a vast improvement over the earlier one, and should bolt straight up on your 550. Fit some braided lines and practise your "stoppies", ha ha!

Comment

I am excited you revealed that there are spokes out there with the disk setup as I really like the spokes look. I will keep an eye out for 77-80 parts or contact you (after pay day ) for your friends email. I hope to get seriously into the conversion soon as I have heard that the difference is huge as to stopping power. I think that the lines will be the first thing upgraded. Thanks for the info! 8)

Comment

check these guys out for drum brake help. They are really good.

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL
                    ........cool site, I need to call them up on the ancient telephone machine now........

Comment

Originally posted by 77gs550
                      As for the dual disks up front, would anybody recommend aftermarket items? Are there any aftermarket manufacturers for this old bike? Will the mag weel support duals?

Or......... is there a GS model that came with dual disks up front? That way I could try and use stock Suzuki bike parts. Any suggestions? I like the idea of duals up front..........
                      As from 1978, the GS550 came with dual disks:

That front wheel should fit your 77 GS550

Comment

80 or 81 is the cutoff? 550 or 750?

Sweet, are the compatible years from 78 to 80, or 78 to 81 for the dual front disks? Also, if I can use the 750 front on my 550, is that good compatibility wise 77 to 80 or 77 to 81 as well? I have heard it both ways and not certain from my research :? . I also want to keep the spokes........they are cool 8)

Comment

Working...
                        X