What are the air screws????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the air screws????

I have heard some talk about having to drill some cover off to adjust the air screws. I thought the air screws were the little brass screws located at 12 o'clock on the manifold side of the carb body. I didn't have to drill any thing to access these. Is there an adjustment I am missing? Maybe someone can outline all the possible adjustments I can make with my carbs.

Thanks!
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Jethro,

I suppose it depends on what year GS you have...but mine, 1980 GS1100E stock carbs had that annoying aluminum poured on top on my air screws. I was told it was because of EPA emission standards...and they didn't want you to mess with the air screw adjustments. It IS a pain to drill through the metal and get the screws out. I stripped two of mine.

Rudi

Comment

If you drill with a 'flat' bit as opposed to the more common 'pointed' bit, it makes it much easier to get those PITA screw covers off and won't kill the screws. My GS has the screws on top also, but have not adjusted them to actually find out what they are! :twisted:

Comment

So the screws I am talking about are in fact the air screws?
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Yes...check out the "Carb Clean-up" section of the website. There is a picture of the Air Screw and it's location in the carb.

Rudi
          1980GS1100E

Comment

Working...
          X