starting and timming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting and timming?

ok, my 78 gs550, i started it again today, heres what is going on. as you know i have had some problems with it, well i reset the cam chain timming, the arrows are pointed in the right direction, the chain is 20 teeth apart, the chain problem is now fixed, the govenr advance is been replaced because it was stuck and craked in a couple places, the points are cleand along with the plugs.

Now, when i go to start it. It turns over wants to try to fire, eventually it will. when i had the top off, and the plugs out, the timming mark was lined up where it was supposed to be on the 1-4 side behind the points. the points were closed just ready to open and spark.

now, the piston isnt at top center. it still on its way up and about 1/4 to 1/2 inch below the top. and when it get to the top it has already fired.
    i followed everything that the book said ro do to set my valves with the crankshaft and the timming mark behind my points. if i turn it over by hand or with the kick or button it does everthing the same fires upto 1/2" before top center. is that where it supposed to be????

Some bikes have 18 pins between #2 and #3 on the cam sprockets.
    Did you count the pins directly over the arrows?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

pins and arrows

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      Some bikes have 18 pins between #2 and #3 on the cam sprockets.
      Did you count the pins directly over the arrows?
      yes i counted 20 pins starting right above the #2 and that was at top center and the timming mark linef up, but both points would be open

Comment

it almost acts like a car when you have a distriutor 180 out.

is ther a way to put the govener advace in wrong? i think it would work if the peice with the lobe that opens the points was in a differant place.

Comment

Not sure about points and I know the advance can only go in one way with the dowel.
          The crank can be off 180 though so that the lobe that triggers the points is off.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

On my bike it fires at about 34 deg BTDC, in other words it fires as the piston is rising as you discribe.
            Any chance that the trigger wires going to the coils are reversed, that way it would spark on 1-4 when it should be firing 2-3 and vice versa.
            Just a thought, good luck

Comment

Working...
            X