Hard to shift after sitting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard to shift after sitting?

My 821100E has been sitting unused for about 6 months...I put it on the charger yesterday and took it out for a ride....and Man! It is hard to shift from 1-2.....the rest aren't so bad.....but I rode it for about an hour...adjusted the shifter so I had a little more leverage...but still....noticeably harder than when I put her away....

Any tips or suggestions??

Thanks

Chris

Keep riding it,it'll free up.Don't let it sit so long,you slacker.Cheers,Simon.
    http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

It's also amazing what some fresh oil will do for it.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I second the fresh oil. The drum won't turn smoothly and the gears don't slide easily.
        Also check the cable adjustment.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I have a 550 that I just got and it has been sitting for about 20 years and it is very hard to shift, but the clutch cable is not instaled properly, would that make a differance. I would hate to spend a lot of time working on the motor only to find out the transmission is just a pretty boat anchor.
          Last edited by Guest; 12-05-2009, 06:26 AM. Reason: i'm an idiot

Comment

Like the guys have said above - I'll bet changing the oil will sort it out. Same problem on my 1100 and fresh oil sorts it every time.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I have trouble shifting when I've been sitting for a while . Especially if I been sitting in a bar . Cheers, Simon.
              http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Check your shifter linkage for binding as well, make sure it's got proper lubrication. I had an impossible-to-shift transmission problem that cleared right up with a little application of lubrication to the linkage joints.

Comment

Working...
                X