Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750ES specification questions

Hi,

I'm rebuilding my sons GS750ES and it hard finding any technical info on the web, so I thought I'd ask some questions here.

The current tires on it ar a 120 90V17 on the rear and a 100 90V16 on the fron - both Metzelers. What I need to know is if these are sized correctly, since I know that Suzuki didn't OEM them.

I can find Bridgestone BT45's on the web for the rear that are 120's and V rated, but the fronts in a size 100 are all H rated, with the 110 front V rated.

On another note, I'm going to repaint the frame, forks, and cases soon also. PJ1 makes some FAST BLACK case paint and frame paint that might jsut do the trick without resorting to breaking out the spray gun (later for the tank). Does anyone know if these items are satin or gloss from the factory?

Any help would be appreciated. I have the bike completely torn down and need to start ordering parts for assembly if I'm going to have it done before his wedding.

Tire sizes are correct and the parts were satin. The frame was a little glossier than satin.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
      Tire sizes are correct and the parts were satin. The frame was a little glossier than satin.
      Thanks Billy.

BTW, I'm a former member who is going to stay in the techincal section and keep my blood pressure down.

So, the forks and cases were satin with the frame being a bit glossier, or were the forks the same as the frame?

I'll keep the stock size on the tires with a 120 out back and a 100 up front. These old bikes seem to handle much better with the original sizes.

Thanks again.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-02-2009, 10:40 PM. Reason: changed the 110 to 100 - my mistake

Comment

Other questions (when anyone gets the time).

1) Shocks for this bike are extremely hard to find. What about using one from another model - any cross refences out there?

2) I've been looking into fork oil seals and it seems that the E and ES are different. Bikemaster lists a 35x48x11 for the E and a 37x50x11 for the ES. Is this really the case? Are the ES's forks bigger?

3) Are decal sets available anywhere?

Thanks in advance once again.

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
          Thanks Billy.

BTW, I'm a former member who is going to stay in the techincal section and keep my blood pressure down.

So, the forks and cases were satin with the frame being a bit glossier, or were the forks the same as the frame?

I'll keep the stock size on the tires with a 120 out back and a 110 up front. These old bikes seem to handle much better with the original sizes.

Thanks again.
          110 is not the stock size for the front, if you want to keep the stock size you will need a 100. I put Avon Roadrunners on my 750ES and they seem to be a good match for the bike.

As to gloss on various parts, my ES photos are linked in my signature block. Hopefully that will help some.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Good to see you're still around and kicking.

Earl
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              110 is not the stock size for the front, if you want to keep the stock size you will need a 100. I put Avon Roadrunners on my 750ES and they seem to be a good match for the bike.

As to gloss on various parts, my ES photos are linked in my signature block. Hopefully that will help some.
              Thanks, yea I made a mistake on the 110 - meant 100.

Nice bike - very clean. It looks like you painted the tank. Where did you get the decals?

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                Good to see you're still around and kicking.

Earl
                Still on the right side of ground level. I've got more projects to keep me busy. Nice to see some familiar names.

Having the newest posts at the top is a bit difficult to get used to.

Comment

Other questions (when anyone gets the time).

1) Shocks for this bike are extremely hard to find. What about using one from another model - any cross refences out there?

2) I've been looking into fork oil seals and it seems that the E and ES are different. Bikemaster lists a 35x48x11 for the E and a 37x50x11 for the ES. Is this really the case? Are the ES's forks bigger?

3) Are decal sets available anywhere?

Thanks in advance once again.
                  The forks were the same between the two, can't imagine why they would use different seals. Works Performance still makes shocks for the 700/750 Full-Floater. If you go to their site they show what length all of their shocks are. I'll have to do a little research and see, but I think there was a Yamaha model that was the right length and was eye to eye. A few people have used GSXR shocks from about '97 and flipped them upside down with the clevis at the bottom. That would probably work alright with some bronze washers between the clevis and the swingarm. You would need a support between the clevis arms to keep that stable.

Comment

Thanks Billy.

Got a little hungry again I guess. I try to stay out of the political threads these days too.

Comment

The forks were the same between the two, can't imagine why they would use different seals. Works Performance still makes shocks for the 700/750 Full-Floater. If you go to their site they show what length all of their shocks are. I'll have to do a little research and see, but I think there was a Yamaha model that was the right length and was eye to eye. A few people have used GSXR shocks from about '97 and flipped them upside down with the clevis at the bottom. That would probably work alright with some bronze washers between the clevis and the swingarm. You would need a support between the clevis arms to keep that stable.
                      Yea, the fork seal difference was confusing to me too. If they are the same as the E model, it makes the job of finding oil and dust seals much easier.

I'e been checking a bit on the shocks the last few days and I think the Ducati Moster uses eye to eye at about the right length. The lower grade Showa should be fairly easy to find, while Ohlins is gonna always be expensive.

I wish there was a master list of shocks floating around (eye to cleavis or eye to eye, compressed and extended lenghts, etc). It would sure make it a lot easier.

On the bronze washer suggestion for the cleavis to swingarm connection - I don't fully get it. I'm going to need to take another look at the way this all fits together I think.

Works is nice, but is definetly out of my range right now.
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-02-2009, 11:04 PM.

Comment

You know what, I think I may have been wrong. The clevis may end up at the top where the linkage is. I think you end up with extra space to fill which is why I said to use some washers done in bronze.

Comment

It's a 13.25 inch shock you need. Here's a file from Works that shows all the lengths. http://www.worksperformance.com/pdf/...ide/street.pdf What I did was to look at shocks on Ebay then compare the lengths with the file.

I got lucky and caught a guy selling an almost new Works shock for $125 here and was the first to pull the trigger on it.

Comment

It's a 13.25 inch shock you need. Here's a file from Works that shows all the lengths. http://www.worksperformance.com/pdf/...ide/street.pdf What I did was to look at shocks on Ebay then compare the lengths with the file.

I got lucky and caught a guy selling an almost new Works shock for $125 here and was the first to pull the trigger on it.
                            Yea, I've been basically going through the specs on shocks, but haven't hit Ebay yet.

You got a steal Billy.

Comment

Yea, I've been basically going through the specs on shocks, but haven't hit Ebay yet.

You got a steal Billy.
                              That and the Yosh Duplex I picked up for the same price are the two best deals I have ever gotten.

Comment

Working...
                              X