Oil cooler on an '80 750?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil cooler on an '80 750?

Well here's the thing...I want an oil cooler...I can't quit find a kit made for my bike, though. So here's what I want to do...

There's an oil pressure sensor on the oil filter cover. I want to put a T fitting in the sensor's place, mount the sensor off one side and run a 1/4" (actual ID) line to a cooler. I then plan to dump the system into a machined fitting that will screw into the oil filler cap hole that is tapped on the side...it'll be like a tube picking up the filler cap about half an inch. I want everything to be 1/4"...I may go bigger if I can sort out a decent, easy to conceal thermostat but in the mean time I would like to have some regulation to flow.

I plan to use a smaller cooler...no bigger than .75X3X7 (I have that one...so no smaller than either lol). I'm going to try and find a way to mount it low on the engine so as not to require check valves but don't know how that'll work just yet.

If I understand the course of oil flow pulling from that sensor port will allow me to draw filtered oil into the cooler and I can't see any issues with dumping the oil onto the clutch basket (though I would prefer dump it on the stator).

Anyway...ideas and opinions?

I could be wrong, but I believe the problem is that you're essentially providing a parallel path for the oil to the one already internal to the engine. This means you're not going to get the full effect of the cooler.

This seems to be similar to installing a cooler on an 1100 and not using the 1150 cover.

I would also be careful about dumping the oil onto the stator. You could end up with foaming issues as the oil is beaten into a froth.

Comment

Modern oils won't really foam up...lots of additives to prevent that, but that's neither here nor there.

Oil should have a parallel path...I haven't seen a system yet that forces all of the oil to go through the cooler. That's counter productive...you could see too much cooling and you could see issues with lubrication due to the obstructed path...I could be wrong, but that's how they seem to work to me. Your oil isn't like coolant

And I typo'ed a bit...it's an '81 750E. '80 would be easy...I'd just pull the LP cooler kit off my parts bike...

Comment

I am trying to figure out some way of doing it on my '82 as well. Any oil taken from the filter cover will be unfiltered, upstream of the filter. there would be enough pressure there to dump it into the oil pan somehow. There would be ~75 psi at the filter cover. Having a valve to limit flow would be a must or the top end and bearings would get starved. I kinda like the idea of a dedicated 12v pump pulling and dumping into the oil pan. If I could only find such a suitable pump for a decent price.

Comment

If you were clever enough you'd run a mechanical pump off the chain and spare your poor electrical system haha...

That's why I like the idea of 1/4" and smaller tubing. The high pressure seen at the filter cover would be regulated somewhat before entering the cooler...plus, with high pressure, it would be possible to pump the oil directly on top of the valvetrain...I really didn't want to do that but I can see the benefit.

I thought oil flowed from inside the filter core then out...but it goes the other way?

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
            Modern oils won't really foam up...lots of additives to prevent that, but that's neither here nor there.

Oil should have a parallel path...I haven't seen a system yet that forces all of the oil to go through the cooler. That's counter productive...you could see too much cooling and you could see issues with lubrication due to the obstructed path...I could be wrong, but that's how they seem to work to me. Your oil isn't like coolant

And I typo'ed a bit...it's an '81 750E. '80 would be easy...I'd just pull the LP cooler kit off my parts bike...
            Actually, if you overfill your crankcase you'll get the crankshaft hitting oil and it will foam. I wouldn't rely on oil addities to preent foaming under certain conditions.

As for the parallel path, yes the GS1150 has a parallel path, but it's greatly restricted from that of a non oil cooler 1100 so that oil actually flows to the cooler as intended. It's only there in case someone removes the cooler, plugs the lines, and runs the motor. Check the oil covers out on each bike.
            Last edited by Guest; 03-03-2009, 12:35 AM.

Comment

I thought oil flowed from inside the filter core then out...but it goes the other way?
              That's the way it is on canister type filters. That way the filth gets trapped between the housing and the pleats.

Comment

If you were clever enough you'd run a mechanical pump off the chain and spare your poor electrical system haha...
                MY electrical system isnt poor, plenty enough to power a pump

That's why I like the idea of 1/4" and smaller tubing. The high pressure seen at the filter cover would be regulated somewhat before entering the cooler...plus, with high pressure, it would be possible to pump the oil directly on top of the valvetrain...I really didn't want to do that but I can see the benefit.

Why dont you return the oil to a top end luber system instead of just anywhere under the valvecover?

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, Billy!

Gearhead...I haven't looked into top end oilers so I don't know the full scoop. It's something I'm going to research before really getting into this.

Comment

You can't just take oil away from the system and dump it back into the engine where ever you like. Do some research to figure out the standard method to plumb a 2nd gen 750 is. Didn't the 750 Katana come with an oil cooler for certain markets? Figuring out how they did it would be a good start.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      You can't just take oil away from the system and dump it back into the engine where ever you like. Do some research to figure out the standard method to plumb a 2nd gen 750 is. Didn't the 750 Katana come with an oil cooler for certain markets? Figuring out how they did it would be a good start.
                      If I remember tomorrow I'll scan the page out of my manual that shows the lubrication system and how it circulates.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, Billy!

Gearhead...I haven't looked into top end oilers so I don't know the full scoop. It's something I'm going to research before really getting into this.
                        I would imagine on the GS type filters the oil makes it's way through the center of the filter then out through the pleats so the filth gets trapped in the center. Otherwise it will just get dumped back into the sump upon shutting the engine down.

Comment

I have done lots of searching on this site and google and havent found anything. Not even someone who has custom built a set up.
                          The oil goes into the filter cavity then through the filter from the outside.

Comment

I have a cooler and all the hardware you need to get it done. I have a aftermarket oil idiot light sensor with a tap and a return with a derale cooler.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              I have a cooler and all the hardware you need to get it done. I have a aftermarket oil idiot light sensor with a tap and a return with a derale cooler.
                              Where does it take oil from and return it to?

Comment

Working...
                              X