Shifting into nuetral and first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifting into nuetral and first?

I have a 1986 GS450L and I have a question about whether this is normal or not, and if not can it be fixed. When I am stopped sometimes it is hard to get the bike to go into neutral it just seems to skip between first and second and occasionally will slide into neutral. Also sometimes when I'm stopped its hard for the bike to go into first from neutral and i have to give it a roll forward while clicking the gear selector down for first???? I dont know if this has has any relevance but i was riding the other night and my headlight went out along with my tach light, the tach still functioned but the light was out, the nuetral light also occasionally works but most of the time it doesnt??? Electrical problems and shifting problems?? Any answers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks A Lot
    -Thomas

Is your clutch adjusted properly? If there is excessive drag that can cause a difficult time finding neutral.

Comment

Normal for GSs. Try adjusting the clutch or get a new cable. Do not try to force it or you will bend the shifter forks.
      Fresh oil even helps.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It is sometimes a symptom of the clutch being poorly adjusted or the oil being of a slightly thicker grade than your bike requires.

Comment

Warped clutch plates can also cause this if adjusting does not help. Dan

Comment

Working...
          X