Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the GS850G up to this?

Hi,
    My name is Chris and I’m new to your board. I have a dilemma of choosing between two bikes to take on a trip to South America in August.
    The first bike is Suzuki GS850G and the other is a Honda CB750.
    The CB750 has the high production figures and relative reliability and availability of the parts but I’ve always wanted a GS850 as well.
    The GS has the shaft drive, dual front disk/single back, better gas mileage, bullet proof engine, bigger gas tank,…But there are not many of it around. With only few short years of production I’m left with not so big of spare parts market.

I know that this is a GS forum and I’m not questioning your patriotism toward this bike but do you honestly think that this machine (GS850G) is capable of such a trip? Given the situation which bike would you choose and why?
    Any knowledge of production #s south of borders or worldwide?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Not only is the bike up to it...it may be the best all around mid-sized ship that Suzuki ever built. I had a CB 650 in the mid 80's and I can tell you this much...my GS 650 is nearly twice the bike.

The 850 has more than enough power and the comfort factor is VERY high. Treat it to a full tune up (enter Basscliff) and you'll be set. Plus, you can't beat the shaft drive for the reliable factor, can't beat it.

OH...welcome to the best little bike site on the web, hands down.

Dave

Comment

Although I've never owned one, the 850's get more love here than any other model, I think.

Get one, do the proper maintenance required and ride that baby around the world if ya want to.......
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

You're asking a Suzuki forum to choose from either a Zook or a Hondah??????
        I've actually owned a CB750. Great highway bike and very smooth.
        But I'll have to go with the Zook.
        It also depends on the condition of the two.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!

Hi Mr. shirazdrum,

Providing you get your GS850 into good mechanical shape, it will give you very few problems. You'll have to do a couple of minor mods to the electrical system and bring all of the other systems up to good operating parameters. Then you will have THE most reliable bike on the road today. Let me roll out the welcome mat for you, then we can talk about a "total refresh".

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous forum. Don't forget, we like pictures. Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If you get the 850 make sure you pull off the rear wheel and check the condition of the splines. Clean out the old grease and use new moly based grease.

Comment

How about a chain vs. shaft mini-war. lol

Comment

Wow, that was the 3 quickest replies I’ve ever seen. Must agree with you on the best little site.
                I was secretly hoping for the zook, just needed a confirmation. It's just pain to clean and service the chain when you can just ride something without. Plus Hondas never had any good brakes either.
                I’ve been looking around and I haven't found anything really clean yet. What do you guys consider clean (I’m pretty anal) and how many miles is too much? Say for an 82 GS850.
                Any model specific modification you'd suggest? Luggage rack, panniers, crash bar,....

Regards,
                Chris

Comment

First of all welcome.

I've owned an old cb750. Ran excellent but very ugly. Not from the factory... no... no.. but from a metal flake blue rattle can paint job w/ the exhaust cut off under the frame with washers welded in for baffles. Besides the overwhelming noise factor. It rode down the highway well. Pretty smooth but not as smooth as my GS850GN does. No numb hands after a three hour ride. My longest on it so far. Have had it since early Dec. Love it! Would recomend highly .

--Al
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-03-2009, 10:23 PM.

Comment

I can't even keep up replying. Thanks a lot for the warm welcome, I know I’m in a right place and people I can count on for information when I break down some where south of the border.
                    This picture has been my wallpaper for a long time; it's just elegant to look at.
                    Thought I would share

Comment

I've got 130,000+ on the '80 850 I bought new. On the '80 I bought a couple of years ago I have been all over the eastern U.S. from Wisconsin to Boston to Florida. On the 82 850 I recently traded I have been to Nova Scotia and back to Florida.

I have owned two CB750s. One I bought in London back in 1970 less than a year after they came out. Then I bought an '77 F model new. I loved them both. But the 850 is clearly superior, especially with regard to touring. For one thing having a sealed shaft drive instead of a chain exposed to the elements means less daily maintenance and greater peace of mind.

850s were sold somewhere in the world for at least 8 years. Because they are so durable there are still a fair number of them around. You aren't likely to need parts, but if you do, they aren't exactly rare. I buy my 850 case guards off JC Whitney. Anyway, in this day of the internet, UPS, and FedEx the odds of you getting stuck somewhere for lack of a part are slim. And if it is knowledge you are worrying about, all you have to do is get online and log in here; somebody will be able to tell you how to fix whatever is wrong with your GS.

Just make sure the bike is well prepped--new oil, middle and hub gear lube. Grease the hub splines. Get some case guards. Replace the stator and regulator/rectifier with quality units. Put on some braided brake lines. Carry some spare oil filters and oil filter gasket, spare throttle and clutch cables, a set of bulbs, and spare spark plugs. I recommend a set of Continental tires, Conti-Tour rear, Conti-Blitz front. I can get up to 15,000 miles on a set. That should get you most of the way there and back depending upon where you are going. I assume you are going to be sticking to paved roads, or at least gravel. If you intend to do much trailing or soft surface, you don't want either one of the bikes you are considering.

Keep us posted on your prep. There are a lot of long distance riders on here who can give you good advice.
                      Last edited by dpep; 03-03-2009, 10:25 PM.
                      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Thought this was interesting...part of the history of Suzuki GS Bikes.

--Al http://www.geocities.com/colosseum/4...uki/suzi1.html

Comment

Being a noobie I was hopin' the high mileage boys would chime in!

Tell 'em fellas'

--Nity --al

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                          I've got 130,000+ on the '80 850 I bought new. On the '80 I bought a couple of years ago I have been all over the eastern U.S. from Wisconsin to Boston to Florida. On the 82 850 I recently traded I have been to Nova Scotia and back to Florida.

I have owned two CB750s. One I bought in London back in 1970 less than a year after they came out. Then I bought an '77 F model new. I loved them both. But the 850 is clearly superior, especially with regard to touring. For one thing having a sealed shaft drive instead of a chain exposed to the elements means less daily maintenance and greater peace of mind.

850s were sold somewhere in the world for at least 8 years. Because they are so durable there are still a fair number of them around. You aren't likely to need parts, but if you do, they aren't exactly rare. I buy my 850 case guards off JC Whitney. Anyway, in this day of the internet, UPS, and FedEx the odds of you getting stuck somewhere for lack of a part are slim. And if it is knowledge you are worrying about, all you have to do is get online and log in here; somebody will be able to tell you how to fix whatever is wrong with your GS.

Just make sure the bike is well prepped--new oil, middle and hub gear lube. Grease the hub splines. Get some case guards. Replace the stator and regulator/rectifier with quality units. Put on some braided brake lines. Carry some spare oil filters and oil filter gasket, spare throttle and clutch cables, a set of bulbs, and spare spark plugs. I recommend a set of Continental tires, Conti-Tour rear, Conti-Blitz front. I can get up to 15,000 miles on a set. That should get you most of the way there and back depending upon where you are going. I assume you are going to be sticking to paved roads, or at least gravel. If you intend to do much trailing or soft surface, you don't want either one of the bikes you are considering.

Keep us posted on you prep. There are a lot of long distance riders on here who can give you good advice.

Comment

I have done two 2,000 mile in a week (or less) trips on my GS1000G with no problems.

Well maintained you should have no issues.

Anything most likely to go wrong that would stop your trip (for example a rectifier) are either easily available from Suzuki, aftermarket suppliers such as Z1 enterprises (on a next day service) or many HONDA ones can be substituted

Fork seals, brake pads, batteries, plugs, wires, coils are all pretty stock parts you should be able to get anywhere.....

Definitely worth checking condition of the wheel splines if it's a later model (1981+). The older ones are tougher, should come into your maintenance schedule anyway....
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I never owned the 750, but I did have a CB900. Not a bad bike, very quick, but the parts from Honda are hard to get and the prices are in the stratosphere!!!! I could not believe how available and inexpensive the factory parts were for my Suzuki. After getting all the little quirks out of my Suzuki, it has been a great bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X