Tune-up/Clean-up order...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great start !!

How about some pics of your progress ? Of course all of us would like to see them, but, you may like to have a record of your work.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

awesome. I did 1 carb per day when I was cleaning mine. It doesn't take too long or seem like as much work piecing it like that instead of all at once.

i would also suggest that you wait until after you get the new shims in before putting in the new spark plugs. It wouldn't make much of a difference, but you could have brand new plugs with a freshly crushed washer on them when you're ready to tune it if you put them in after replacing the shims. Plus you'll have the plugs out anyway when you put the new shims in.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
        Great start !!

How about some pics of your progress ? Of course all of us would like to see them, but, you may like to have a record of your work.
        yes, yes, PICS... I saved the old parts and planned to take some pics tonight.

Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
        awesome. I did 1 carb per day when I was cleaning mine. It doesn't take too long or seem like as much work piecing it like that instead of all at once.

i would also suggest that you wait until after you get the new shims in before putting in the new spark plugs. It wouldn't make much of a difference, but you could have brand new plugs with a freshly crushed washer on them when you're ready to tune it if you put them in after replacing the shims. Plus you'll have the plugs out anyway when you put the new shims in.
        Good idea.. thanks.

Comment

When you are doing "one carb per day", how long are you leaving the parts in the 'dip'?

If you don't know the history of the bike, or if you know that it's been sitting for a while, it's best to leave each carb body in the 'dip' overnight. In other words, when you separated the rack, take #1 apart, put the parts in the dip, leave them. (This is when you then changed the intake boots.) The next night, take #1 out, re-assemble it, take #2 apart and put it in the 'dip'. The next night, take out #2, put in #3, etc. Yeah, it takes most of the week, but you will only have to do it once. Try taking shortcuts here and you will be taking the carbs back out to clean them again, so you may as well do it right the first time.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes Mr. Steve... one carb per day... not rushing anything.

Comment

Working...
            X