Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

charging system question

I have a 85 GS550L
    I have read through the forums and could not find exactly same problem.
    my battery is about 7 months old. A few months ago i replaced the R/R, I bought one from Z1. just recently I replaced my stator, bought one from electrosport. The bike runs, but it doesnt seem to be charging well. somewhere between 3500 & 4000 RPM its getting its best charge at about 13v. When I put it up to about 5000RPM it drops but stays between 12 and 13. The battery is only holding a charge at about 11.99 cold the next day on or off the bike.

my second question is... I have read alot about using a honda R/R or late model CBR R/R, the only thing im not sure of is what one would be the right one for my bike? meaning does it matter what year or just anyone?

I am a bit of a newb, but learning alot. mostly from this forum.

Hi,

Feel free to check my website for information that I've collected. There is electrical stuff in the "More Info/Odds and Ends" section.

Have you had a chance to clean every electrical connection and ground, from the headlight to the tailpipe? Corrosion causes resistance, the bane of charging systems. Run a dedicated ground wire from your r/r to the negative terminal of the battery. If your battery was not initialized properly it may have trouble holding a full charge. It wouldn't hurt to have it load tested again.

Mr. duaneage will sell you a tested, modified Honda r/r for a very reasonable price. Send him a PM. He stands behind his parts too. He's not like the junk sellers on ebay. There's also a list of compatible parts in another thread: CLICK HERE.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 03-05-2009, 10:15 PM.

Comment

It sounds like a reasonably normal charging system to me. A bit low on volts but not too bad. Do you have a really good ground for the RR? Run it directly to the battery, that fixed a similar problem with my bike.
      It also sounds like your battery could be on it's way out... do you have a charger? Put in on charge until it's full & then check it. You should get about 12.3v & it should hold that for at least 2 or 3 days.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by tim999 View Post
        somewhere between 3500 & 4000 RPM its getting its best charge at about 13v.
        Thats not charging. All your answers are in Cliffs post. Good luck.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I've seen those Electrojunk R/Rs not work out of the box.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I an hook you up with a Honda RR kit wired for your bike. Plug and ride for 40 bucks delivered.

Send me a PM if interested
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              I've seen those Electrojunk R/Rs not work out of the box.
              +1 !!!!!!!!!

My brand new "Electrojunk" (I like this term) was OVERCHARGING since new to the tune of 16.2V !!!!!!!

They told me to go pound sand as far as a warranty replacement. Electrix/Electrosport SUCK BALLS as far as I am concerned as a company. I later added a Rick's unit, and all is good now.....

Comment

Thanks for all the advice
                I think I will have the battery load tested again due to it only holding a charge of 11.99.

I checked the wiring, no Corrosion and the R/R has a ground to the battery.

***I got the bike for $900. It had 1 prior owner and it has only 6500 original miles. it was in his garage, last time it was driven was 1994. to get it running I rebuilt the carbs and had a friend of mine who rebuilds old bikes adjust them for me. has zero rust. i replaced the tires. some of the plastic was cracked and one of the blinkers was cracked. I also had the tank recreamed which he included in the price. I also replaced the petcock. oh and he didnt have the side panels. all the gages and lights work. so far i am very happy. Also thanks to this awsome website and BassCliff's tutorials.

Comment

Working...
                X