Air filter Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air filter Box

I have 1982 GS1100G. Can anyone out there please tell me where the drain hose connects.
    On mine the pipe runs through the box on the left hand side and connects into the top of the box into a hole.Is this correct as I have previously said there is a small drip of oil coming from around the screws which hold the end of the box on.Should this box be airtight?

Hi Mr. thicklotto,

Your airbox may be different from mine. My airbox has a hose on top that connects to the breather on the top of the motor. The drain hose runs down the backside of the motor. Yes, the airbox should be air tight. Not only that, make sure the air filter has no gap on the edge where it connects to the intake. I use weatherstripping to make sure everything is sealed. I have to replace it every once in a while. Check my website for Mr. Roostabunny's "airbox sealing" pictorial.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Air Filter Box

Thanks for reply. Has anybody out there got a GS1100G with an air box with the drain hose running through it and connecting to the top?

Comment

Air Box

I take it then nobody has a GS1100G 1982 with a hose running through the left side of the Air Box ??

Comment

I have an 82 1100gl. Don't know if it would be the same setup as a standard G, but mine has a drain hose on the left that hangs down through a holder that is cast into the engine cases then hangs down with the battery vent tube and carb vent hoses and such. Mine doesn't go through the airbox though,(if I remember correctly) and connect topside.

I beleive it is just a drain for if you are getting some oil spray coming into the airbox from the breather hose connecting to the engine.

Comment

Air Box

Thanks Dr for your reply. I cannot believe of all the GS1100g owners who view this site ,that none of you have replied to my simple question.

Comment

Air Box

Do I take it then that all you GS owners dont have air boxes on their machines.All I want to know is where the hose is supposed to fasten to.
              There is no actual drain in the base of the air box

Comment

try posting a couple pictures of this breather hose that doesn't appear to be going where it should be

Comment

Air Box

Hi, If I remove the left cover the hose is there.It connects to the top of the air box. It then then passes through the box next to the actual filter.The cover is cut out to fit round the pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by thicklotto View Post
                    Hi, If I remove the left cover the hose is there.It connects to the top of the air box. It then then passes through the box next to the actual filter.The cover is cut out to fit round the pipe.
                    I'm going to hazard a guess that your airbox is pretty similar to the airbox on an '82-83 GS850 which you can see on the "parts finder" at www.carolinacycle.com. See "aircleaner". (Interestingly, the tube is NOT shown on the fiche for the 82 GS 1100G)

If my memory serves, the rubber tube you refer to is designed to drain off any gas that sprays out of the carbs into the top level of the airbox. The rubber tube fits into the top level of the airbox pretty flush so that when the bike is on the side stand, the gas (or oil which may have come from the PVC chamber in the top of the airbox) drains to the left, into the tube opening, and then down the tube and out at the bottom of the airbox.

Hope this helps,

Tomcat

Comment

Someone ran the hose all the way through so as to not have engine vapors reintroduced back into the fuel mixture. You've been told in your other thread that the hose going to the top of the airbox is a vent line to let the crankcase breath and the line that is supposed to come from the bottom of the airbox is there to let condensed vapors drain from the airbox. There should be a fitting on the bottom of the airbox to connect a drain line to.
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2009, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Mr. Billy Ricks,

Is there a benefit to having the breather hose go directly to drain rather than into the top of the air box? Is this meant to simulate having pods by having the breather vapors not pulled into the carbs? Very interesting why someone would go to the trouble of cutting up a filter and running the hose direct to drain.

Comment

Originally posted by dr_fosg8 View Post
                          Mr. Billy Ricks,

Is there a benefit to having the breather hose go directly to drain rather than into the top of the air box? Is this meant to simulate having pods by having the breather vapors not pulled into the carbs? Very interesting why someone would go to the trouble of cutting up a filter and running the hose direct to drain.
                          I guess it might give you a slight benefit by not having crankcase vapors polluting your mixture. If I were going to worry about it I would just run the crankcase vent hose to a catch bottle or to the back of the bike out past the rear tire and bypass the airbox altogether.

Comment

Hi Mr. thicklotto,

Is this your airbox?

I don't see a drain hose. Does your manual offer any information?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Air Box

Hi, Thanks fot the diagram.My Airbox is similar.THe Left side cover has 2 screws underneath which hold it on.The cover and the box has a cut out in the bottom which goes around the tube.The tube pushes into a hole in the top of the box.It does not or should not drain into the box because there is no actual drain hole.In reality, as somebody has said ,its probably a drain for the crankcase.This is how its been made and not customised.
                              Thats is why I asked ,where is the oily mixture coming from that drips out of the box around the 2 screws.

Comment

Working...
                              X