Caught In The Rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caught In The Rain

Well, I was at a basketball game today and when I came out of the gym it was raining. This being my first time in the rain I was a little worried. Everything went fine, but I have a old vetter fairing and I had to look over it to see because of the rain collecting. I was wondering if anyone had any good tips for this? Maybe a spray that will help the water run off. Thanks for any suggestions.

I got one: Suck it up!
    HAhaha! I'm only partially kidding. Into everyone's life a little rain must fall. It sucks but we gotta deal with it. There's probably some sort of rain guard or something you can rub on it.

Comment

I'm not sure if it will work with the plastic or plexi windshields that bikes use, but Rain-X works great on cars for this exact purpose. You can get it at any auto parts stor for a few bucks.

Comment

Rain-X helps a lot.

Sometimes windshields are installed just below the line of sight for the reason you noted - so that you can see over them, instead of through them.

Riding in the rain during the day, and riding in the rain at night, can be two entirely different experiences. At night, the road can almost disappear, making riding very hazardous.

Being able to keep rain out of the eyes is another reason to wear a full faced helmet. Crack the visor a half inch at the bottom to improve ventilation and reduce fogging on the inside of the visor.
        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

DON'T USE RAIN-X ON PLASTIC WINDSHIELDS.

Most plastic windshields have a hardened coating on them to prevent scratching the softer plastic windshield. Rain-X will attack this coating. It will haze up, then peel off.

Better products to use are just about any good car wax. I use Meguiar's liquid cleaner/polish for the bike and occasionally for the windshield. Most often, I use a product called 210 spray cleaner/polish. It leaves a wonderful finish on the windshield and is also good for the rest of the bike.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Good old fashioned carnauba wax works great.

Comment

glad you survived your first rainy ride.

I had mine a few months ago, 100 miles in an absolutely torrential downpour. All I could see were the two lights of the trailer I was following. I stayed 4 or more lengths behind him and never went over 45. I also kept my flashers on...not one inch of me was dry when I got home. I had one instance where I thought I was going down, rear wheel was sliding for about 30 feet. I pulled to the side and collected myself for a moment. All of this was at night...but I definitely learned from it.

Comment

I did a 30 mile run home in the rain today. Having the right gear makes all the difference. I as warm and dry except for my gloves which are perforated, I got a little frostbite on the fingers. I only had one slippy moment at a crosswalk where the rear tire thought about spinning but for the most part I just took it slow and careful.

Comment

Get a motorcycle rain suit, rubber over-boots and glove covers. You'll stay dry. Being dry, you'll also be safer.
                  sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Wow: The weather up here in Ontario is teasing us for the upcoming season. I was driving 2 days ago in a pouring winter rain talking about putting RainX on my Fairing windshield for the next rideing season. This message was timely. THANKS STEVE

Comment

There you go.
                      All you need to know is in there.
                      McLoud
                      '79 GS850
                      `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                      sigpic
                      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                        Rain-X helps a lot.

Sometimes windshields are installed just below the line of sight for the reason you noted - so that you can see over them, instead of through them.

Riding in the rain during the day, and riding in the rain at night, can be two entirely different experiences. At night, the road can almost disappear, making riding very hazardous.

Being able to keep rain out of the eyes is another reason to wear a full faced helmet. Crack the visor a half inch at the bottom to improve ventilation and reduce fogging on the inside of the visor.
                        I have done all of these for years.

First: it is VERY important to be able to see over the windshield. If it is at the right height then wind and rain will mostly blow over your head.

Heavy rain will always be bothersome, especially when that plus any traffic tossing up tire spray hinders visibility. At that time it is really nice to have no windshield in front of you.

A bit of wet snow will bring this lesson home really soon, as it quickly collects on the windshield and blocks vision entirely, so you either look over the windshield and drive or be blinded and crash.

I either cut the windshield to suit me, or make my own. Either way, the height suits me....just below eye level. That way you can duck if you need to, and peer through the 'shield.....as when you run into hail and do not want to be deafened by the sound of it hitting your helmet.

I have never encountered the problem mentioned with Rain-X. Either Rain-X or a similar product has been used on the car all year every year for twenty years. I have used it on both motorcycle windshields and visors, but I do not always use it just because of bugs. It is easier to use the Maguiars because it is mildly abrasive and takes bugs off quickly.

A simple remedy for dried bugs is a damp cloth left on for an hour or two. That softens them, as well as any other dirt, then a quick wipe and off you go.

Add my vote to the recommended full-face helmet and visor.

Never had a problem with Rain-X.
                        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                          Never had a problem with Rain-X.
                          Most of the problem with Rain-X is with its reaction to the hardened coating on some plastics.

Evidently the plastics you have been using do not have that coating.

For those who want to do some more reading on this topic, here are the results of a Google search for "rain x on plastic windshield".

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

For 30 years we've had good results with Pledge and a clean rag. Bugs remove easily and rain beads off. Cheap.

Comment

Working...
                            X