'81 gs650g air box/carb issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice bike... love it!!!!

hey Bri... I really like what you have done with your 650.... she is lovely.
    Makes me jealous... I want mine to be just as clean.... but I've only had it for a couple of weeks... so I must be patient.
    One question for you... what did you use to paint/cover the engine parts? that black looks nice (I am talking about the crank case cover, etc...)
    Thanks for the information-

Comment

Clint, Duane has the best deal with his regulator/rectifier.

For your 650G, try to return it to stock if you can. When properly tuned, the throttle acts like a rheostat on an electric motor with that model. No flat spots at any RPM in any gear. Plenty of power, low gas consumption.

Later, if you want more, you can go back to pods if the stock situation isn't enough, and you have the time to put into it.
      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Hey Julien, thanks!! I had owned it for a long time before I decided it deserved to be gone thru.The main thing was just to get the motor out and fix my second gear issue. Then I came down with a bad case of "while i'm in there". It totally snowballed into this major thing.
        The motor cases,covers,cyl,and head, I powdercoated all that stuff wrinkle black. The detail parts of the motor(oil filter cover, valve cover end caps, breather cover, and starter cover) I did in black chrome powdercoat.

Hey Clint, I agree....get a honda RR from duaneage. You wont regret it. I have a honda RR on my bike and it works great.

Comment

When I make this cage I'll take pictures of what I come up with, this might be useful for more than a few folks. One of the 650Gs I parted out had a malformed plastic cage for the foam filter caused by too much starter fluid.
          The 650G is a very well tuned machine with stock parts. The only stumble I ever found on the three I have ridden was a slight twitch at 2200 rpm when the mid speed circuit kicks in. Properly synchronized and clean these babies purr. The power is very smooth and uniform without a sudden rush or hesitation.
          Considering how nice they run with an airbox I can't see a great reason to go pod on these, any horsepower increase would be small and gas mileage no doubt would be less because of the rejet required.

I understand the 650G was factory jetted a tad lean for emissions. Going up a single size on the mains is supposed to improve them a bit. I haven't tried it, I'm happy with the way it runs now.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice! My project is sure to succeed with all your help. I will get started with my carb project as soon as I gather the parts I need. The charging/electrical system is a top priority as well. I'll keep you posted

Comment

Just an FYI, the plastic air filter cage comes with a stock suzuki air filter which can be had for about 15 bucks from your local dealer...

Comment

That makes things a lot simpler. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X