It started! Briefly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It started! Briefly.

Alright so over the weekend I brought the bike out I just bought a few weeks ago that I was told would not start. I just wanted to let you guys in on some of the stuff I found out when I got into it. When I purchased it, the guy who I bought it from said it hasn't run in a couple of years.

79 GS850 27k miles
    1. When removing the tank and fuel line, no gas leaked or came out from the hose, we tried on all positions of the tank being on Pri and On. Didn't think much of it yet, put the tank aside. Fuel line looked worn out.

2. DIRTY oil covered spark plugs. Couldn't even wipe the oil off when we tried.

3. When doing a "dirty" compression test (thumb over the plug hole) and kicking the motor, thumb wouldn't get blown away as instructed it should. This means that there is less than 100psi of compression (will have compression gauge on hand this coming weekend for more accurate test).

5. Intake boots worn.

6. Electronic start doesn't work at all. I push and nothings happens. No clicks or noises at all.

7. Right blinker doesn't work.

8. Airbox Filthy, heavy oil residue.

When we hopped on to kick it a few times to get compression built up and nothing happened at all at first. After kicking for 5 minutes or so we could feel a little kick back but not spark. We replaced the spark plugs and imediatley got a little growl and it sounded really close to starting. After another couple of minutes it started up for about 4-5 seconds or so then stalled. This happened a few times after a ton of kicking and spraying with starter fluid. I think they issues are tied but separate as well? Compression being the first issue because it wont start, but when it does start, it doesn't keep going because of the fuel problem. Does this make sense?

This weekend I am going to replace the fuel line and clean the carbs, replace o rings and intake boots (hopefully if they get here. To me it sounds like I have a bad gasket somewhere which may be causing a compression and oil leak. Those of you who have been keeping up with my posts know that I have oil on the front of the tank. What do you guys recommend? I am going to get a gasket kit from bikerbarn.com. It has 43 gaskets in the kit including a head gasket for like 105 bucks. Do you think its worth it or do you recommend something else?

When looking for parts to try to replace, from my particular issues, what do you guys think I should be looking for? I searched the posts but couldn't find anything to my particular to my set of issues.

I recommend you pull the carbs and do a full tear down, soak in carb dip, and replace all the O-rings. Be very careful with the pilot fuel screws - the tips are very sharp and like to break off and get stuck in the carb bodies. While the carbs are off replace the intake pipe boot O-rings and adjust the valves. You will need a special tool to remove the valve shims but the adjustment process is very easy.

Other things that need checking are the petcock (gas should flow with the lever in the Prime position), the points and the plugs. I'd just replace the points and plugs unless they look fresh.

Needless to say, you need a good battery...and the electric start won't turn the engine without pulling in the clutch in case you don't know.

Do the basic maintenance so you can scratch a few things off the list of what the problems could be; diagnosing bikes that don't have the maintenance done is a waste of time.

Good luck.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

i would do every thing that the other guy said but you also could pull it with something to start it that always helps if being pulled put it in the lowest gear you can without skidding like 1st will get the motor turning the fastest. also if you test and are getting gas and spark your kill switch can be faulty. i no mine i cut the wires that run to the switch and twisted two of the wires together to get mine to start untill i got a new switch.

Comment

In addition to what Ed said, pour that old gas into your car and take off the fuel petcock and see of the screen is plugged up. If that's not it, take off the two screws on the face of the petcock and take out the centerpiece and see what you have in there. Spray some carb cleaner in the large interior holes - it should run out somewhere.

Clean all your electrical contacts and, once you have a fresh, well charged battery aboard, test the voltage at the coil wires. It should be 12V or more. Below that, search the site for a coil relay mod.

Pull out your spark plugs and put some Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder. Kick it over occasionally while you're doing the other work to free up any stuck rings.

Adjust your valves. You mentioned an oil leak, this is probably the valve cover gasket or the tach O ring. I'm not sure why you'd buy an entire gasket set unless you're going to pull the top end.

You're results so far indicate you're short one one of the big 3 - gas, compression, spark

Don't pull start it - correct the problems and it will start right up.

Did you get your mega welcome as yet?
        Last edited by Big T; 03-09-2009, 10:33 PM. Reason: Pull start =crash
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

One other thing about the electric start - did you pull the clutch lever when you tried to start it?

Yep, it's a 'safety' interlock.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I didn't try the clutch at first but after reading these posts, I did and still nothing. I was looking at the electrical diagram and I don't see any fuses going to it or anything I can try to replace. It does spark and try to start at least with a kick start so i'm thinking the starter is ok. If I have to kick start it from now on I don;t mind if its reliable. Not a big deal unless its a quick fix for the push start.

Comment

Working...
            X