Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach makes noise off idle

Hi, newb here

My bike makes a hooting/whining noise above about 1500rpm, when I bought it it didnt, but the next time I started it it did.

Can this be fixed? I will have a horrible time finding parts locally (as in: I can't).

Anyone had this issue? The tach cable doesnt look bent or anything...?

First you need to figure out what the source of the noise is. Disconnect the tacho cable from the head and cover the hole up so that no noise is emitted from there (if you don't there'll be an awfull ruckus from the top end escaping out and making the noise seem far worse than it is while you try to figure this out). If the noise goes away then its the tacho drive cable... or the tacho. If you keep following this line of enquiry once you've re plugged the tacho cable into the rocker cover then unplug it from the tacho and fire her up and see if the noise remains. Yes, your cable is shot, no, your tacho needs to be tidied up, it could be anything from a dry set of gears through to a shot bearing in there.

If its not the cable/dial then you'll have to stat using the mechanics stethascope (oversized screwdriver) and figuring out the source of the noise by puting the blade to the engine and listening to the handle.

Comment

My bet would go to the mechanism inside the tach housing being just a bit loose at the mounting point to the housing.

As the parts rotate/spin inside the part shifts just a bit, which allows contact, usually intermittent, and usually above 2000RPM, and contact causes the whine.

You may be able to tighten the mounts on yours, and that should be all that is necessary.

Bear in mind that there is not much clearance, so you have to be pretty sure the part is in the correct position before tightening.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Both the speedo and the tacho on my '82 1100GL made a hell of a racket when I got the machine. Both mine turned out to be the same thing.

Where the square end of the cable goes into the back of the instrument there's a cylinder that accepts the square cable which rotates within the stationary sheath the nut on the cable screws on to. I squirted some WD40 between them and both mine ran silent. 3 in 1 provided a permanent fix.
        It's smoke that make electronic components work.
        Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
        '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
        '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
        '82 GS1000SZ
        '82 GS1100GL
        '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

I will check this weekend (started snowing again, never snows after feb here, grrr).

It definitly is from the tach housing area, not lower. It is a buzzing plasticy sound too, like a higher pitched version of a buzzer or the game "operation"

I am hoping it just needs tightening/lube, the PO says it never did that, but she also said the back brakes were good (not) and that it didnt smoke (does). But both the tach and smoke werent there the day I bought it, weird.

will report back, thanks all!

Comment

I had the same whine/buzz with my 650GL when I first got it running. I removed the tach and put a few drops of general purpose oil or MMO (can't remember which) in the cable sheath and in the tach input. Ran the bike for a bit and the noise dissappeared. Hasn't returned yet (~1500 miles).

Comment

I also have had to deal with noisy instruments. Get some oil onto the part the cable inserts into. Best done with the gauges flipped upside down. Spin the drive with a small screwdriver and you will see the moving part that wants oil.
              Do both gauges, this should be done every thirty years or so.

Comment

Clymer say's lube 1x per year...

as part of your annual spring maintainence. Lube all the cables, tach, speedo, front brake, throttle, clutch and choke....

Some are easier than others. Its kinda dusty here in Colorado so I usually have the whinning of the tacho 2x or so each season...shoot some lube down the cable from the top, and lube into the tach/speedo and that should do you!

Comment

+1 on this. i had the same problem. fixed it the same way

Comment

hmm, wd40 fixed it for about 10-20km, but now its back whenever its cold out (ride to work), its really annoying, I guess I will take it right off and lube the crap out of it.

I just squirted up in there with wd40

Comment

WD-40 has very little lubricant in it. I prefer to get some motor oil onto these bushings.

Comment

Took them apart and put 30w all over the inside and outside of the magnet spinny part. hooting gone as of a 6km ride in the coldest weather I have ridden in yet, so Id say its looking good.

I have to say sopinning magnets and clock springs are a pretty darn cool way to make a tach/speedo!

Comment

Working...
                        X