Can a rear wheel from a chain-drive model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a rear wheel from a chain-drive model

... be adapted to the rear of a shaft drive?
    I'm asking this because my GV1200 is equipped with 1983 GS1100GK mag wheels.
    Lately I have purchased an aftermarket wheel with the intention of installing it on the rear of my GV1200.
    However, after receiving it, I realized that it is intended for a chain drive bike. My GV1200 is shaft driven ...
    I'm thinking of having the middle taken out of the aftermarket wheel on a lathe at a machine shop, and then getting the middle portion of a stock wheel welded in its place. However that seems to be way over the top for what I'm willing to invest on a rear wheel.
    Any insight on fitting such wheels to a shaft drive bike would be greatly appreciated!
    2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
    1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
    2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
    s)

Originally posted by quexpress View Post
    ... be adapted to the rear of a shaft drive?
    I'm asking this because my GV1200 is equipped with 1983 GS1100GK mag wheels.
    Lately I have purchased an aftermarket wheel with the intention of installing it on the rear of my GV1200.
    However, after receiving it, I realized that it is intended for a chain drive bike. My GV1200 is shaft driven ...
    I'm thinking of having the middle taken out of the aftermarket wheel on a lathe at a machine shop, and then getting the middle portion of a stock wheel welded in its place. However that seems to be way over the top for what I'm willing to invest on a rear wheel.
    Any insight on fitting such wheels to a shaft drive bike would be greatly appreciated!
    I think you answered your own question.

Comment

From a practical viewpoint, the answer is no. Of course, if you are willing to throw enough time and money at something, anything can be done and you could have a like new $5000.00 rear wheel. LOL

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Off topic, sorry, but I thought I would ask if anyone knows if the spoked wheels off a GV1200 will fit any other shafty GS models? I would love to fit a set onto my 850 if I could find one.

Comment

Originally posted by 79 sh850 View Post
          Off topic, sorry, but I thought I would ask if anyone knows if the spoked wheels off a GV1200 will fit any other shafty GS models? I would love to fit a set onto my 850 if I could find one.
          I believe the gv1200 wheel is a fairly easy swap, just stay away from the gv700, it had a drum brake. On the Madura board they like the gs wheels since they are a plentiful, easy swap with less overall maintenance. The big problem with the madura wheels is finding them, this model was only made two years and wasn't extremely popular. Don't know why.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
            From a practical viewpoint, the answer is no. Of course, if you are willing to throw enough time and money at something, anything can be done and you could have a like new $5000.00 rear wheel. LOL

Earl
            I know that, but no thanks LOL! I have compared the wheel to a stock GS wheel last night. It's not going to happen. Oh well. Maybe someday I'll pick up a chain driven GS... and I'll already have a nice rear wheel for it.
            s)

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
              I think you answered your own question.
              I sure did! I have compared it to an OEM wheel last night. It's not going to happen LOL!
              s)

Comment

Originally posted by 79 sh850 View Post
                I have gone the other way round (GS1100GK wheels on my GV1200).
                Note: I have temporarily installed the spoked wheels on the GS1100GK . I know that it could be done, but you would need to play with the axle spacers, etc. (nothing major).
                s)

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post
                  I believe the gv1200 wheel is a fairly easy swap, just stay away from the gv700, it had a drum brake. On the Madura board they like the gs wheels since they are a plentiful, easy swap with less overall maintenance.
                  That's right. The main reason is that the GS wheels permit us to run tubeless tires.

The big problem with the madura wheels is finding them, this model was only made two years and wasn't extremely popular. Don't know why.
                  LOL!!! Funny but so true.
                  In 1985, the Madura was relatively expensive ... therefore less buyers. Many people did not like its appearance. As a matter of fact, if you search the net, you will find individuals that voted it in the top 10 ugliest bikes ever made.
                  To each his own. I didn't get it for looks. I was looking for a cheap straight line hot rod. The GV1200 fits the bill. I don't like the funny back rest, the buck horn handlebars,etc., and am presently changing that.

On the other hand, the motor, etc. are bullet proof and ... what a rush from light to light!
                  s)

Comment

Working...
                  X