head replacement hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

head replacement hardware

The flange nuts are rusted out as are the washers.

Does anyone know the type of nut and washer to use?

Know of a supplier?

I know I can order from an online parts place but they want
    over $20 plus shipping. Seems outrageous.

your copper washers should be fine. Just take the old nut to a hardware store and see if you find the closest match for nuts and washers. You could go to mc-mastercarr but they will cost you just as much as OEM because you will end up with 100 nuts and washers.

I would just get OEM, but I would think what ever you find in a Hardware store could work as long as they are just nuts and washers, I would only use OEM bolts though since it is harder to match the strenth Suzuki intended.
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I have a set of complete head hardware for the GS1100 sixteen valve. If this is for the 750 it should be the same.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        I have a set of complete head hardware for the GS1100 sixteen valve. If this is for the 750 it should be the same.
        Very cool of you to offer but this is for the 550. I did find this source:

They price them about half of the parts places. I wasn't able to find the washers though
        which appear to be some kind of thick alloy washer.

Comment

I'd order OEM, personally.

Assuming the thread on 550 studs is the usual 10mm diameter X 1.25mm pitch, the only nuts you'll find (even at McMaster or Bolt Depot) have a 17mm hex (SAE) instead of the OEM 14mm (JIS). They ain't gonna fit.

You can get JIS nuts at some auto parts stores, but you'll still need to order the "acorn" nuts at the corners from Suzuki.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by DimitriT View Post
            Very cool of you to offer but this is for the 550. I did find this source:

These 10mm nuts are the wrong thread pitch.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              These 10mm nuts are the wrong thread pitch.
              Thanks for pointing that out. I guess it'll have to be OEM.

Comment

Working...
              X