Unpleasant surprises... HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unpleasant surprises... HELP!!!

I went home for lunch today hoping to ride back Suzie to work for an afternoon ride (the weather has been okay here in NY). When I opened the garage doors I saw some fluid on the ground by the front fork. I looked around and realized that my fork "plastic thingy" (don't know the name) is broken (see the pic) - I looked at both side and, of course, both of them have cracks.

Ok, I said to myself, I guess I wont ride today... and will check the GSR forum for some advices... but I should start the bike to get her happy and warm.
    She starts right up (happy happy me) and then "puff... puff" and some white smoke is coming out of one of the intake boot (pic number 2).

So here are a few questions:
    1. What is the name of these plastic covers on the fork?
    2. Is this all I have to replace?
    3. Where can I find them?
    4. Intake boots... what to do?
    5. Can they be purchased new (I am pretty sure they are expensive)
    6. Can they be repaired?
    7. Where can I find them?

This is a set back... as I was hoping to get the bike ready soon before official riding season here in NY.

Thanks for your help (as always)

Ride it, no worries. It probably leaks less while riding than while sitting, it really does not matter until the leak gets really bad and you have no more oil left in the fork for damping, and your tires are covered with oil faster than they can get cleaned off by rolling down the road...
    Sometime soon, when you get around to it, and when your parts arrive, replace the dust boots, and the fork seals themselves.
    Clean all the crap from the entire fork assembly when you do, and use the right oil.
    Throw in some good springs too, life is good.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by julien View Post

1. What is the name of these plastic covers on the fork?
      2. Is this all I have to replace?
      3. Where can I find them?
      4. Intake boots... what to do?
      5. Can they be purchased new (I am pretty sure they are expensive)
      6. Can they be repaired?
      7. Where can I find them?

This is a set back... as I was hoping to get the bike ready soon before official riding season here in NY.

1) The rubber covers on the forks are called dust seals.
      2) No, the oil leak is caused by the oil seals (further down the fork tube) being bad. You'll need to replace both along with the fork oil and a general clean up.
      3) You can find them many places. Do an internet search.
      4) Replace the intake boots.
      5) Yes. Not as expensive as a new motor. They lean the mixture out and cause your engine to run hot.
      6) No.
      7) Many places. Check www.bikebandit.com and others.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Ride it, no worries. It probably leaks less while riding than while sitting, it really does not matter until the leak gets really bad and you have no more oil left in the fork for damping, and your tires are covered with oil faster than they can get cleaned off by rolling down the road...
        Sometime soon, when you get around to it, and when your parts arrive, replace the dust boots, and the fork seals themselves.
        Clean all the crap from the entire fork assembly when you do, and use the right oil.
        Throw in some good springs too, life is good.
        No immediate worries on the forks, the intake boots are another matter.

Comment

Originally posted by julien View Post
          I went home for lunch today hoping to ride back Suzie to work for an afternoon ride (the weather has been okay here in NY). When I opened the garage doors I saw some fluid on the ground by the front fork. I looked around and realized that my fork "plastic thingy" (don't know the name) is broken (see the pic) - I looked at both side and, of course, both of them have cracks.

Ok, I said to myself, I guess I wont ride today... and will check the GSR forum for some advices... but I should start the bike to get her happy and warm.
          She starts right up (happy happy me) and then "puff... puff" and some white smoke is coming out of one of the intake boot (pic number 2).

1. What is the name of these plastic covers on the fork? - Dusk covers

2. Is this all I have to replace? - NO, they just cover the fork seals, the seals are what holds the fork oil in and are leaking. You need to get ahold of a Service manual that will show you how to replace them, Basscliffs website may also have a tutorial.

3. Where can I find them? -You can order them from Bikebandit.com, you will need to order 2 dust covers, and 2 seals, should be about 40 bucks. Don't forget the fork oil.

4. Intake boots... what to do? -Replace all 4 they are shot, there is no repair for them, you can smear as much silicone, peanutbutter or what ever around them and they will still leak, it's the nature of the beast. Again bikebandit.com they are about 25 bucks a pop, don't forget the orings that go behind them.

5. Can they be purchased new (I am pretty sure they are expensive) - see above

6. Can they be repaired? -NO, see above

7. Where can I find them? - see above

Get to work you have a few weekends of work ahead of you.

if you ride with the leaky forks, make sure it doesn't drip down and get on your break pads, you could zip tie some cotton cloth around that area to absorb the oil and keep it from contaminating the breaks.
          Last edited by first timer; 03-10-2009, 03:12 PM.
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

There are intake gaskets behind those boots. Replace them all. You can get them here...

Here's some info on fork seals.....

This info provided by your friend and mine.... BassCliff !!!!
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
            X