Finding Neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding Neutral

This past weekend I replaced the broken clutch cable and changed the oil and filter on my 78 GS750EC and went for a nice four or five hour ride on a beautiful 55 degree day.
    When out for the ride I noticed that at times I had some difficulty finding neutral. Even with the help of the idiot light on the dash I had to fiddle with the foot clutch lever several times before finally landing on neutral.
    This did not happen all the time I was out but enough to make it annoying. Last season this seemed to hardly happened at all.
    Or...am I just a little rusty from the winter and just need to get the hang of handling the clutch foot lever again?
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    GS750GUY

Originally posted by GS750GUY View Post
    This past weekend I replaced the broken clutch cable and changed the oil and filter on my 78 GS750EC and went for a nice four or five hour ride on a beautiful 55 degree day.
    When out for the ride I noticed that at times I had some difficulty finding neutral. Even with the help of the idiot light on the dash I had to fiddle with the foot clutch lever several times before finally landing on neutral.
    This did not happen all the time I was out but enough to make it annoying. Last season this seemed to hardly happened at all.
    Or...am I just a little rusty from the winter and just need to get the hang of handling the clutch foot lever again?
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    GS750GUY
    I've had this happen before on other bikes. Sometimes an oil change does affect how it shifts into neutral. Can't say why, only that you're not imagining it.

Comment

I don't have a clue why it is now harder to locate neutral but as a suggestion, I find it easier to get neutral by shifting into 2nd and then down into nuetral by only moving gear shift lever down partially.

Comment

why would you want it in neutral other then to warm it up? hopefully your not stopping in N at lights and signs

Comment

If the motor had GOOD oil in it before you changed it & you put cheap oil in it you could be feeling the effects. Have you checked that the clutch is adjusted CORRECTLY? Ray.

Comment

I just encountered the same problem when I replaced my clutch cable, it turned out it was in the adjustment... it would try to jump when I shifted into gear & when I tried to shift from 1st to neutral it would go to 2nd, from 2nd it would go to 1st. Played around with adjustments & I think I got it. Just got done messing with it couple hours ago. Maybe?.... Maybe not?

Comment

Hi Mr. GS750GUY,

I wouldn't worry too much. Sometimes I'm fumble-footed when trying to find neutral, mostly it goes in on the first try. Sometimes it's easier to find neutral from second rather than from first gear. Sometimes it goes into neutral when I don't want it to. Sometimes I have to rock the bike a little to find neutral. Sometimes I figure it's a 30 year old bike and has its little idiosyncrasies. Sometimes it's just my inattention or ineptitude. Once in a while, it's happened on every bike I've ever ridden.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

My 'S gets a bit notchy when I let the chain get a wee bit loose.She likes it a bit on the tight side.The old girls like a bit of attention now and then.Cheers,Simon.
                http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Same here...

I haven't checked the cable to see if it needed adjusting yet... but I have the same "problems", finding N is somehow difficult at times.
                  I go up to 2 and then down. It usually works like that.

Be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by kilog55 View Post
                    why would you want it in neutral other then to warm it up? hopefully your not stopping in N at lights and signs
                    Thanks guys for your input regarding this. I will try shifting into neutral from 2nd and see if that works better for me.
                    No! I'm definitely not shifting to neutral when sitting at lights and signs. The bike shifts nicely through the gears when riding. This is happening when I'm stopping for rest, food, and fuel stops.
                    GS750GUY.

Comment

ohh alright just wanted to make sure you werent being unsafe. seen to many videos on youtube about why you should leave it in gear and be ready to go if need be.

Comment

Only mechanical issue I've ever had with finding neutral was on my 83 Nighthawk and that was a faulty sensor/switch that turned on the light. I finding neutral via the clutch and shifter, so it was a non issue for me, but the guy that did the state inspection on the bike was an "idiot light guy" and I watched him almost drive the bike into a wall b/c he trusted the light. Guess what the one thing was that the bike failed on the inspection.

Bottom line, it wasn't a clutch issue at all.

Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
                        X