Sound of Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound of Exhaust

I have a 1986 GS450L with a mac 2-1 exhaust on it. This is my first bike and am not really familiar with the sound of Suzukis but i know it isn't supposed to sound like a Harley. It seems to me that when i get to about 4 thousand rpm's it sounds like a rattle in the muffler. I pulled the baffle out and it was all intact and then i pushed it in pretty tight so it souldnt be shaking around at all. Is this just the normal Suzuki sound or is my mac 2-1 just messed up. I could possibly post a soundclip if that would help.

The motor may be pinging from a lean condition or a timing issue. Have you cleaned the carbs and did a valve adjustment? I Know this bike has an electronic advance. I'd check this with a timing light.
    I rebuilt one of these bikes. Pretty solid bikes.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Youtube is a good place to check out. There are a bunch of different style and year bike of people recording exhaust sound. Some are good examples and some bad.

I don't know much about your bike though. Is it a four or a twin? Generally fours sound like fours and twins sound like twins. Each company has their own way of camming, porting, setting up valves, and running exhaust which all plays in the unique sound. Even the Ninja 500 sounds like a twin, a different sounding twin but a twin. Although if you have a four and it sounds like a twin that's probably not good.

If you can get to the baffle when the motor is warmed up without burning yourself take it out (only for a short time to test it) and see if it still makes that noise. If it does it's something other than the baffle.

Comment

I cleaned the carbs and did a valve adjustment along with replacing the boots and o-rings. I have my air mixture screws set to stock wich is 2.5 turns out but i'm not sure if i should change this because since im running a mac 2-1 i replaced the stock 115 main jet with a 125. So should i mess with the screw (turn it in our out) to change my mixture since i changed a jet. Also the bike is a twin so i know it isnt gonna sound crazy but it just doesnt sound right.

Comment

Working...
        X