Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R/r swap..is it possible?

Hello all,

I have a 82 850G with a stock R/R that is currently working fine. I want to swap that R/R to a 79 GS425 that has a blown R/R. I have a replacement Honda piece for the 850 from Duaneage.

Can this work or will I screw something up by doing this? I need opinions from someone more versed in the electrical system than myself.

Thanks in advance,

Jim
    GS Score Card
    4-400 Series GS's
    3-500 Series
    1-600 Series
    1-700 Series
    4-800 Series
    1-1000 Series
    2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
    sigpic

Look at the instructions posted in several places here and on BikeCliffs' website. I did it on my 82 750 last year and I had close to no electrical experience. After reading it and doing it once, I'm confident I can do it on any bike now.

Comment

Originally posted by jimfj View Post
      Hello all,

I have a 82 850G with a stock R/R that is currently working fine. I want to swap that R/R to a 79 GS425 that has a blown R/R. I have a replacement Honda piece for the 850 from Duaneage.

Can this work or will I screw something up by doing this? I need opinions from someone more versed in the electrical system than myself.

Thanks in advance,

Jim
      installing a R/R is a peace of cake but why would you want to intall a honda R/R on your 850?
      Last edited by Guest; 03-11-2009, 01:40 PM.

Comment

jimfj

The Honda 6 wire units will replace any of the 5 wire units. U just need a place for the 6th sense wire. In either case make sure the R/R is (-) is grounded and has a direct path battery. Also check to make sure the positive lead from R/R to battery is low impedance.

See the posted directions.

You need a volt meter to check it powered (less than 0.25V at 4000 RPM) or use the Ohm meter when the batter is disconnected.

Pos

Comment

My question is not so much of "Is it possible for me to istall it" I know I can do the actual work with no problem what so ever.

The question is "Will a GS850 R/R work on a GS425?" I should have been more clear.

Why do I want to do this? The answer is because I need to replace the blown R/R on the GS425 and the I have the Honda part that I know will work on the GS850. People on this forum have said that the Honda part is much more substantial a piece than the stock Suzuki part. An "upgrade" if you will.

If anything I'm throwing out here isn't true please let me know.

Thank you,

Jim
          GS Score Card
          4-400 Series GS's
          3-500 Series
          1-600 Series
          1-700 Series
          4-800 Series
          1-1000 Series
          2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
          sigpic

Comment

I don't see why not...have you looked at the RR from the 850? How does it match up to that of the 425? Wire count the same. Three wires out of the stator? It should work with minor if any reworking.

Comment

Hi Mr. jimfj,

I, too, don't see any problems with taking the r/r from your 850 and putting it on the 425. Making it fit might be a challenge. You may have to modify the mounting holes on the r/r unit. If you cut or file one of the holes to make a slot, that may make it easier to install. That way you can pre-thread your bolt, slide the r/r in place, then tighten everything up.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X