the big bog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the big bog

ok guys I know its not a gs but II cant find a more reliable group that I can trust...Well here it goes.. I have an 86 vf 500 honda interceptor that I have just cleaned the carbs cleaned the petcock and cleaned the tank.. With that said here is my problem.. after 3days of wrestling I got the carbs on(and I thought the gs's were bad).. After an hour I got it started now thatI got it settled in it wants to bog on the way up the rpm level and wants it hits 7k its stutters...It is also slow to come off the reves after the throttle is closed..I have come to a few conclusions
    1: low fuel had less than a gallon in the tank
    2: old fuel (been sitting in the gas can a while)
    3: petcock (although it works great and is clean)
    4:just needs to be blown out
    5: misadjusted Idle control(sits about 12-1500)
    .. These are gravity fed 86 doent have a fuel pump. The reason for the original carb clean was to take care of a bog and stall when trying to get going. well thats taken care of so we are working our way up the revs....
    Any help would be greatly appreciated Thnaks for the help KEith

Put some fresh gas in it first. Less than a galon is it on reserve??

Comment

yes just switched it to res.. Also found that I had a few loose clamps on my carb boots(oopss) seems to have helped a bit.. gonna put some high test in it next... I appreciate the help even though it wasnt GS related... It shows how good the people of this sight are

Comment

The reluctance to get past 7k sounds like main jets. The change over from needle to main jet happens about 3/4 slide open.
        Check out www.carbparts.com/mikuni.mikuni_tuning_info.htm for where the different jet systems operate.

The slow climb down to idle sounds like too much air getting in somewhere. Check your induction boots.

Kim

Comment

that link didnt work got another?

Comment

If you go to carbparts.com and just follow the mikuni link on the left it will get you there.

Thanks,
            Gavin Shafer

Comment

they dont have them for vf500

Comment

Keith, go to the http://www.carbparts.com click on the mikuni button on the right then go to where it says general mikuni tuning info and click on it there will be a picture of a carb with the functional range effectiveness of tuning parts.

Comment

Well I got it to run decided to push it to see if it would "blow clean".. Well it shot a flame out the left tailpipe and then started to smoke out the same tailpipe(light blue) .. Kinda odd actually seeing as it was the left pipe that started smoking.. I think a more exacting sync is in toll

Comment

What color is your exhaust? 8O It sounds like you are running extremely rich, is there a lot of black carbon like smoke as it moves up in rpm? are the floats sunk, is there the correct level of gas in the bowl? I had a similar problem related to a sunk float.
                    My thoughts thrown to the wind.

Comment

I typed up the link wrong. Here is the right addy.

Sorry about that.

The pic shows what jet/fuel circuit is operating at each range of slide opening. From here you can assess how much throttle is open when a problem arises and make the changes to the correct fuel circuit.

Kim

Comment

Working...
                      X