No announcement yet.

Cleaned carbs - now runs like crap and revs very slowly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it also turned out that my valves were all tighter than 0.05mm. that's the lowest my feeler gauge went to and it wouldn't fit into any of them.

I can now only just get a 0.13mm in there. A loose valve is a happy valve.

Comment

Also my gasket was torn to shreds and the dealer wants $40 for a new one. What kind of material can I use to make my own valve cover gasket?

Edit: Could cork work? I could get enough for a couple dollars.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2009, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrZig View Post
        Pretty big update:

I took the pilot screws out and what dy'a know, the o-rings and washers are missing.

That's right, they're not even in there. New o-rings are already on the way, and I'll try and find a couple washers of suitable size. Also the tip of the needles had a tiny bit of buildup on them.

Could missing o-rings cause some bad running? I'd say yes but I'm no expert. Also, one needle was turned out about 3 & 1/2 turns, the other one 2 & 1/2. Should I set them both to 2, or to 2 and a half for re-tuning?
        Yes, that's a problem.

If you want split the difference and set each at 3. You're going to be adjusting them later anyway.

Comment

if you missed my post in the other thread that motor was in Japanese/euro gsx400's and Canadian 1980+ GS400's (or whatever year you guys went to the 435 then 450)

You should be able to get boots, if not a correct airbox.

also be warned, the intake o-rings ARE NOT the same as a 450, I think they are 34mm, have to double check

Comment

Originally posted by donimo View Post
            if you missed my post in the other thread that motor was in Japanese/euro gsx400's and Canadian 1980+ GS400's (or whatever year you guys went to the 435 then 450)

You should be able to get boots, if not a correct airbox.

also be warned, the intake o-rings ARE NOT the same as a 450, I think they are 34mm, have to double check
            I simply get all my part numbers from this site:

✓ Official Suzuki parts list ✓ Easy repairs with OEM diagrams ✓ Free acccess to parts fiches for Suzuki GSX400E 1980 (T) (E02 E04 E22 E24)

It's worked good sofar.

The reason I don't want the proper airbox is it would be too expensive, and it would require relocating the battery. Flexible boots = 10x easier and cheaper.

Comment

Working...
            X