Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to change a choke cable...

Need to do it, no idea how. =)

I would assume it's a fairly straight-forward procedure. Does anyone care to give me a rundown of how it's done?

Presumably, it's pretty much the same on your 550 as it is on my son'e 850.

Remove the gas tank. Remove the end of the choke cable from the carbs. It helps if you pull up on the knob, then hold the mechanism on the carbs to have room to get the cable out of the pulley. If your cable is broken, just manipulate the mechanism by hand. Look around the base of the choke knob, you will see how it is retained in the center of the steering stem. Remove the hardware, slide the cable up through the steering stem. Installation is the reverse. Put the cable housing in place first and lock it down. Rotate the knob so the word "CHOKE" is facing up before threading the end back to the carbs. Once you install the end in the pulley, anchor the end of the sheath to provide assurance that you can close the choke fully and tighten it down. Re-install gas tank, go for a celebration ride.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve!

I assume once the tank's off, it'll be pretty easy to spot where on the carbs the cable attaches to?

Doesn't sound too hard though. I should be doing it sometime during this coming week. I'll let y'all know how it goes. =)

Comment

Okay, so, the little nubby thing at the end of the cable is a serious PITA to get hooked up to the doodad on the carb, but other than that it wasn't that bad.

Rode her to a shop to get a new tire thrown on, and after that I'll be riding on a daily basis again, w00t. =)

Thanks for the help, Steve!

Comment

Working...
        X