where to buy shifter seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where to buy shifter seal

hi all. i have a 79 gs425 on my hands. runs and rides, but leaves a puddle of oil on the ground wherever i park it. i've opened up the left side cover, where the shifter and the clutch cable attach to. looks like it's leaking right where the shifter shaft is.

now, where can i buy this seal? i've searched the forums and looked at a couple online parts fiches, but couldn't find the part.

sounds like its just a matter of pulling it out with a pick, and tapping the new one on there. anyway, another question, how is the clutch operated on this bike? the cable is attached onto the cover, where there is a spring/lever mechanism. and that part attaches to a pin on the transmission. however, when i go to touch the pin on the transmission where the part attaches to, it can pull out quite freely and has no resistance to spinning. how does the clutch operate this way?

anybody else on here have a 79 425?

It's on the "GEAR SHIFTING" fiche, #27 on the diagram:

OIL SEAL (12X22X9)
    09285-12006

There's actually a good chance that your friendly local Suzuki dealer would have this in stock, because it's a very common seal used on many different models. Check there first, and you might save on time and shipping.

The "pin" you mentioned is actually a pushrod -- the ramp mechanism pushes the pushrod, which activates the clutch on the other side of the engine. Yes, it's normally sort of loose.

The seal for the pushrod is on the "CLUTCH" fiche, #21 on the diagram:
    OIL SEAL (6X34X10)
    09285-06011
    Last edited by bwringer; 03-12-2009, 05:16 PM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Hi Mr. tominos,

This is one of the tidbits I've collected on my website:
      ------------------------
      Shifter Seal Replacement

Remove the shift lever.

Simply hook and pull the seal out of the engine and off of the shaft. Place the hook between the shift shaft and the inner sealing surface of the oil seal-- pull straight out. (Some have suggested screwing in a small wood screw to give you something to hold on to as you try to pull it out over the shift shaft.)

Clean up the shaft and seal recess.

Put a small plastic bag over the shift shaft.

Grease the outer surface of the bag and the new seal.

Slide the seal over the covered shaft and tap into place. The outer surface of the seal should be flush with the engine surface, flat and level.

You tap only the outer edge of the new seal, carefully, not to distort and ruin it.

The plastic bag covers the splines so as not to tear the inner rubber of the new seal while installing.

Glue is rarely used but may be necessary if the fit is really loose between engine case and outer edge of the seal.

---------------------------------

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

BassCliff,

Does this procedure work for all GS models? I have an 82 GS850G and thought I remembered reading somewhere that some models (like mine) require splitting the cases to replace the shifter seal. Thanks.

Comment

Hi Mr. CCMcC,

I've searched this forum pretty thoroughly and couldn't find any information about it being necessary to split the cases for this little operation.

It's #29 on the diagram:

OIL SEAL (12X22X9)
          09285-12006 (replaces 09285-12002)

Yes, the procedure for replacement is the same on the 850. I see no need to split the cases. I even looked in the Suzuki shop manual, but didn't find a reference. Please let me know if you find differently.

BassCliff

Comment

bwringer: do you have a link to the fiche you're looking at?

thanks for the fast replies guys.

Comment

Originally posted by tominos View Post
              bwringer: do you have a link to the fiche you're looking at?

thanks for the fast replies guys.
              There's lots of links to lots of different online vendor fiches on my website in the "Greetings-Basic Info-Vendors-Links" page, otherwise known as the mega-welcome.

Try this one too: http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs425-1979-n_model13426/partslist/

BassCliff

Comment

If that doesn't work how about this?

Comment

Or this?

Comment

I used the fiche at http://flatoutmotorcycles.com

Real part numbers and the lowest prices you'll find anywhere.

However, for a small common part like this, I'd just take the part number to the local dealer -- it's probably not worth farting around with shipping. Flat Out can save you a lot of money if you need a lot of parts or expensive parts.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

good idea on going to the dealer. i just gotta see where one is around here.

Comment

anyone know where i can find a service manual for this bike? i've looked around and can't seem to find anything for this model.

Comment

Thanks..

That is good news. My seal is seeping, but not critical, so I left it be. I may now take the plunge.

The research and advice is much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                          X