What goes there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What goes there?

I recently picked up an 81 GS450L as a project bike for my son and I to work on. Let me first say what an incredible wealth of information you folks have here on the site! We have traced the electrical systems as best as we can using a Clymers but we are a bit perplexed about an empty bracket under the left side cover. In the upper left hand corner, above the starter relay and just left of the rectifier & igniter assemblies, there is a "2 finger" bracket extending out from the panel. What goes there? It looks to have a purpose but it is empty. Can anybody help us out with what mounts in that spot? Maybe take a picture of what it looks like under the left side cover? Any help would be much appreciated!

Welcome to this excellent site, H-Bomb.
    I think it is great to hear about a father and son working on projects together, especially bike projects.
    Not positive, but might the "2-finger" bracket be a main fuse holder clip.
    Check the schematics on BassCliffs site.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Greetings as well. I agree with Steve that it could be a relay or fuse block holder and there are often times "empty" clips/holders for vairous models and equipment options...

Welcome to the "Best Little Bike" site on the web.

Da's peep's be know'n da biz on deez bikes...

BassCliff will be along to knock your socks off with a welcome befitting a king! (and he knows a few things about bikes, too)

Dave

Comment

Steve got it right, it is the master fuse holder holder. the fuse is a in-line single fuse and it clips there and originaly had a little pouch with a spare fuse hanging from the fuse holder.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!

Hi Mr. H-Bomb,

My daughter sometimes helps me wrench on my bike. It's a beautiful thing. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

After a mega welcome all I can say is Hello... welcome to GSR

Comment

Greetings H-Bomb, welcome to the site!

Kudos to you & everyone who spends quality time with their children!! I don't think there is enough of that in this day & time.

There is an abundance of knowledge to be obtained from this site & the wonderful people on it . Good luck with your father-son project. God Bless & ride safe!

Comment

Welcome aboard H-Bomb

I tell ya guys, everytime I read Basscliff's welcome I feel like sharing a cigarette with him when I'm done.

Comment

Wow! Thanks everybody for the incredible welcome! I belong to a couple other web forums and none have ever offered such an inviting welcome! We appreciate the info on the main fuse. We do have a fuse "hanging" in that area but it appears it's holder is missing. It's exposed with the two clip-on retainers holding it in line with the wiring. I may be able to pick up an inline fuse holder at a local shop. Things are looking pretty good for an attempt at starting her this weekend. Just a few more minor steps to accomplish first. Looks like our biggest hurdle we are facing right now is getting her titled and registered. The state of Virginia has gone out of their way to make it quite the task. The P.O. I purchased the bike from never received the title from the owner before him. Plus he never attempted to title or register it. I did the online VIN check which came back stating no reported problems associated with the VIN. So we are led to believe it's not stolen and there are no outstanding liens on her. Lots of paperwork to fill out and notary's to sign. Anybody have any experience with this scenario and has any advice, we'd be much appreciating. Nevertheless, my son and I are excited to be tackling this project together and I am certainly enjoying his creativity and desire to learn. I would encourage anybody who's thinking of tackling any father - son (or daughter) project. It's worth the effort no matter what the end result of the bike is.

Comment

what goes there?

Hey h bomb

That does sound like it's the fuse mount.My fuse was hanging in the general area when I got my bike.The plastic fuse cover was missing and without it the clip is useless.
                    These 450s are tough bikes and it will be worth the work to get it running.Mine sat for years when I bought it but everything held up well. The carbs came off three times before it ran right,what a mess . I just started it up today for the first time this year and nothings wrong with it ,so no Harley for another year I Guess!
                    Bubbarandi

Comment

if this is what you are talking about it is a holder for the fuse.

I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
                      1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

That's what I'm talking about! Thanks for the great picture! I just need to find an inline fuse holder to put that fuse in there. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X