coil relay question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coil relay question

OK, I am not the sharpest tool in the shed but please help.I have a 1980 gs1000e that has had starting problems since day 1 ,five years ago.After reading the coil relay mod section I took a voltage read with an analog meter and have found two junctions with orange / white leads.One reads about nine volts and the other ten and a half.NOW, where is the relay in question located? Also took ohm readings from two of the resister caps over the plugs and one is very weak while the other is around the 4-5 reading , do I need these caps or just place regular ends on the wires and do away with them.?bike does run well when warmed but has a tendency to only run on three cylinders sometimes untill warm.I suspect the inner cylinder from the right ,while sitting on bike,as this is the one with the weak reading.Bike is ridden only periodically because of starting issues.If anyone is close to Knoxville TN let me know or respond here.Thank you for any help

Here's a good read
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The relay is something you wire in as a modification to the original power supply to the carbs. The plug caps should read about 5 ohms resistance. They are available from Z-1.
      Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

Hi Mr. hardwareman,

I agree that generally the coil relay mod is a good thing to do. But I also encourage you to make sure the rest of your bike is in order. Are the carbs clean? Have the valves been adjusted? Have you run a dedicated ground wire from the r/r to the negative terminal of the battery? Have you had a chance to clean every electrical connection and ground on the entire wiring harness from headlight bucket to tail light? Corrosion causes increased resistance, heat, and voltage drops.

Keep us informed. Have we seen a picture of your bike yet?

Note: I think Mr. Billy Ricks means "original power supply to the coils" and not "carbs".

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
          The relay is something you wire in as a modification to the original power supply to the carbs. The plug caps should read about 5 ohms resistance. They are available from Z-1.
          http://www.z1enterprises.com/SearchR...s=spark%20plug
          I am sure Billy meant power to the coils not carbs. Relay mod is easy and well worth time.

Comment

Working...
          X