Center Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Center Stand

I've got an '81 GS850G that I've had for about a month now. I was wondering if there was supposed to be a grab bar somewhere to get it up on the centerstand. It's not a light M/C and I would have thought Suzuki would have made some provision to assist in that manuever. Everything I've ever owned with a centerstand had some kind of handle to help pull it up. Just wondering.
    Thanks

There should be a small chrome handle just under the seat on the left side and behind the upper shock mount. For some reason people removed these when putting on a 4-1 pipe and removing the the center stand.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
      There should be a small chrome handle just under the seat on the left side and behind the upper shock mount. For some reason people removed these when putting on a 4-1 pipe and removing the the center stand.
      I cant find anywhere to fasten anything there. There are no holes or studs. Doesn't look like anything was ever there. How does this handle fasten?

Comment

G has the grab bar, On the GL the grab bar is part of the loop that goes around the seat - mounts to the shock stud & the turnsignal mount

Comment

Hi Mr. Bufallobiff,

My bike doesn't have the grab bar either. Instead I use my luggage rack.

It might not be as convenient, but you should be able to grab the frame there below the seat near the original turn signal mounting holes (mine have been moved).

A quick search of ebay shows a couple of grab bars, one from a '79 and another from an '81. Hurry, 4 hours left!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

center stand

Hi,
            There is a nice video on Youtube about setting the bike on the center stand. While they are stand a light wieght Bimmer it works with our Dragons too. I also like the idea of how they stand a bike that is on the ground. It is harder to do while one is bleeding though.
            b
            NB's F6550GS - How ...
            F650GSNB1629

Comment

ya, i don't grab anything on the back of the bike really, just follow the method in the video, your bodyweight does the work. my fiencee is quite a bit lighter than i and she can pull my 1100 up on the stand using that method.

Comment

Pushing down on the centerstand really hard with your foot helps get the bike up.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                  Pushing down on the centerstand really hard with your foot helps get the bike up.
                  i really pretty much just stand on it and tug on the handlebars a bit.

Comment

Unless there is something unusual about the GS centerstand, I'm fairly familiar with them. Moto-Guzzi has a grab bar, my old BMW had a grab bar and my W 650 Kawi has a grab bar. It makes getting up a lot easier, particularly a 600 pounder.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff
                      It might not be as convenient, but you should be able to grab the frame there below the seat near the original turn signal mounting holes (mine have been moved).
                      From experience just above & before the rear wheel seems about the best leverage point for lifting a bike onto its stand

Comment

Working...
                      X