Electrical Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Problems

I have a 1984 Gs 750 ef with lots of electrical problems. Could someone recommend another Suzuki that I might get the system from.

what kind of problems?

most electrical problems can be traced to bad connections, carefully check, clean , and or replace all your connections, (especialy the stator connections)
    I am not sure what other GS would be compatable with your 84,750

Comment

Electrics.....

ap:
      OK.....lets' get specific ,list out each problem & we'll all take them on one by one.....
      Rick.......

Comment

Details

1984 GS 750 EF

Had all the harness off and checked, put it back on and the problem is the same, all lights come on and signal light switch clicks. The bike will start but it blows main fuse. The bike use to start but will not keep running. I was told the regulator was burn out. This bike has always had electrical problems from new. I bought it really cheap off the orignal owner, the harness was cut to pieces.
        I think I might have a ground wire that may be hot but the harness is in such a mess that it is hard to tell.

Comment

Sounds like stator or r/r problems. One thing to look for though is solid black wires being used as grounds. THey are not grounds, only black with white tracers are grounds. It's easy enough to measure the r/r circuits to see if it's the problem If you can't keep the bike running the stator is a little tougher test. It can be checked for continuity and shorts though.

Comment

The testing procedure for my 700, yours will be the same, involves disconnecting the three stator wires and running the bike at 5,000 rpm. You then place the probe of a multi-tester in each of the three wires. + probe in one terminal and - probe in another. Keep the + probe on the same wire and check the other two with the - probe. Then move the + probe to the next wire and check the other two with the - probe. Again + on the remaining wire. Check each of the wires against each other two this way. I'm not sure what voltage you should look for on an 1100, my 700 calls for 80 volts AC. You should get consistent readings on each attempt. These are the three yellow wires under the gas tank.You want to test the ends of the wires coming out of the starter cover under the carbs.

You can do a continuity check using the same procedure. With the motor off and the tester set to check for continuity check each wire against the other two. You should get a tone if the stator is okay as far as any breaks. You can test for shorts by testing each with one probe on the wire and the other on the frame. If you get a tone or meter reaction.

You can check you regulator/rectifier by following the Suzuki procedure below.

With the r/r removed from the bike, fins pointing up and terminals facing you, the terminals from left to right will be A, B, C, D, and E.
            Negative probe on A and positive on B you should get 6-7.5 ohms.
            Negative probe on A and positive on C you should get 6-7.5 ohms.
            Negative probe on A and positive on D you should get 6-7.5 ohms.
            Negative probe on A and positive on E you should get 50-70 ohms.

Then switch the negative probe to terminal B and place the positive probe on A, C, then D, you should get no reading. Positive on E should read 6-7.5 ohms.

Switch negative probe to C and positive to A, B, then D, you should get no reading. Positive on E should read 6-7.5 ohms.

Switch negative probe to D and positive to A, B, then C, you should get no reading. Positive on E should read 6-7.5 ohms.

Switch negative probe to E, positive to A, B, C, and D should give no reading.

Hope you can follow what I am outlining here.

Comment

I don't know if this will help or not but there is a 750 wireing harness on ebay right now http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=10066

Comment

Have you recently bought a new ignition system and coils? When I replaced my ignition system with a Dyna S...this changed my coil requirements. Under the old system, I could run .7 ohm coils on my bike. But the new Dyna S made so I needed 3 ohm coils. What happened before I found this out? My main fuse kept blowing.

Hope this helps

Rudi
                1980 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                X