FIXED? NOT... wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIXED? NOT... wont start

so the carbs have been redone, replaced the rubber flanges and airbox rubber boots so its all sealed now and can be synced properly.

for some reason though i still can not start my bike. its run before but simply on starting fluid i put in the spark plug holes

i am in desperate need of getting this fixed so any and all help will be most appreciated

Is there fuel in the float bowls? You can check by removing the drain screw in the bottom of the carbs.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

It starts when primed ?? Go back and check the petcock operation. Might do a compression test too.. Valves adjusted ? New plugs ? Check 12 V on coils.
      Start ritual- prime to make sure the carbs are full. FULL CHOKE no throdle
      hit the start. Could also jump it from a car battery, some time it needs that little extra bit of juice
      Last edited by Guest; 03-14-2009, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
        It starts when primed ?? Go back and check the petcock operation. Might do a compression test too.. Valves adjusted ? New plugs ? Check 12 V on coils.
        Start ritual- prime to make sure the carbs are full. FULL CHOKE no throdle
        hit the start. Could also jump it from a car battery, some time it needs that little extra bit of juice

idk about valves.. yes new plugs and all work.. tested for spark. tried prime with choke and no throttle. compression is on last time i checked..
        dont have jumpers for car but will try when i get some

Comment

Originally posted by 1982gs650E View Post
          idk about valves.. yes new plugs and all work.. tested for spark. tried prime with choke and no throttle. compression is on last time i checked..
          dont have jumpers for car but will try when i get some
          Hard starting is sign of a needed valve adjustment.
          If you jump it from a car DO NOT have the car running.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
            Hard starting is sign of a needed valve adjustment.
            If you jump it from a car DO NOT have the car running.

Will try in the morning when i have cables. also will see whats up with the valves

thanks will reply when i have learned more

Comment

I seriously doubt the problem is the valves...although they NEED to be checked. Most likely the float bowls are not filling with fuel for some reason. As I suggested above, and was ignored, you can check for fuel in the float bowls by removing the screws on the bottom of the bowl. Use a rag under the screw since if there is fuel, it will spill out.

Another thing to try is blowing air into the carb vent tubes, this forces gas up into the carb passages, assuming there is fuel in the float bowls that is, and primes them so to speak. Many times, once fuel gets up into the inner passages of the carbs the bike will start drawing the fuel after that.

Good luck.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

sry did not mean to ignore that part just so much to do because i am not too experienced but capable of figuring most of it out...

I am going to check the float bowls and if not then try the other thing you suggested.

I will repost when i have the results

Thanks again all

Comment

Don't be so sesative Ed
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

its nice that he pointed it out though because i had missed that one part

Comment

What's bad if you have the car running and jump it? Is it to do with the R/R on the bike?

Comment

Originally posted by MrZig View Post
                        What's bad if you have the car running and jump it? Is it to do with the R/R on the bike?
                        Yes. The car's charging system puts out too much amperage for the r/r on the motorcycle. You will fry your electrics if your car is running when you jump your bike.

Mr. 1982gs650E,

Please re-read the mega-welcome, paying particular attention to the "Top 10 Common Issues" and the carb rebuild series.

There are no shortcuts. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                          Yes. The car's charging system puts out too much amperage for the r/r on the motorcycle. You will fry your electrics if your car is running when you jump your bike.
                          BassCliff

If it put out too much amperage - wouldn't it blow the main fuse isntead of damaging electrics?

Comment

If it put out too much amperage - wouldn't it blow the main fuse isntead of damaging electrics?
                            Let's hope the fuse blows.

Let me know how it goes.

Note: When you connect battery to battery, there is no fuse in between.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The way the r/r on the bike works is that it will try to regulate the voltage, no matter what the source. If the voltage on the car's regulator is set just a bit higher than the bike's (and they typically are), the bike will try to regulate the car's voltage. Since the car can regulate itself, it sees the drop in voltage and compensates by boosing output. In a contest between a car's regulator and a bike's regulator, the bike usually loses.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X