GS100ED Clutch Reassembly help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS100ED Clutch Reassembly help

I'm replacing my clutch and discovered an extra thrust washer in the assy.
    Behind the cluch center there is a thrust washer with oil groves The extra one was right behind that. I made sure the thrust washer behind the oil pump drive gear was there and noted the extra one is same size. Should I put it back in or not?

I bought new Suzuki friction plates, steels and springs. While Babbits online and the Haynes Service manual said I need 9 steels, my bike has 10, but my dealer said it needs 11. Any thoughts on that? I guess Monday I can the dealer where he gets 11.

I hate stuiff like this and was hoping to get it buttoned up tonight.

Put it back or you will bind the bearings. Ask me how I know. If I remember right the washer with the oil grooves faces the bearings and the other washer goes outside of that. An easy way to check it is to spin the inner hub after installing the hub nut without the outer hub installed. It should spin freely with the transmission in neutral.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The extra plate makes me think your bike had a Barnett extra plate kit installed at some point.

Comment

CLICK HERE for more info.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

If you scroll down to the diagram in the link Dave posted, the exta thrustwasher is a #2 and it was between items 3 & 11. Shouldn't 11 alone be enough to keep the bearings from binding?

I really don't see any answers yet about whether there should be 9,10 or 11 steels. Leaving out the extra thrust washer allows steel #11 to fit and the spring mounting cover to meet the inner hub.

Chef, The outer hub item 1? Has to be installed for the inner to fit correctly. I rolled my bike in gear without the nut torqued and the inner seems to spin nice. No centerstand, so just can't spin tire.

Comment

I meant to say witout the steels and fibers installed.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

'83 1100 clutch stack

I made the list below. Unless you want two Fibers next to each other, then 10 fibers need 10 steels, counting the one under the piano wire. 1982 used 9 & 9.

I am still not sure about the thurst washers, but might see how it could be req'd. I'll see what the Dealer says.

I measured the height of the inner clutch to cover with and without plates. The stack below was about .070 to .100" taller than the bottomed out number (can't remember exact numbers).

S1 (Under piano wire)
              F1
              S2
              F2
              S3
              F3
              S4
              F4
              S5
              F5
              S6
              F7
              S8
              F8
              S9
              F9
              S10
              F10

Comment

Found this post. Look at the 11th thread, there is a mystery washer. Guess I'll put mine back in.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

That is the clutch I put together for Jim. That washer ended up going inside the large washer up against the bearings.

Comment

Working...
                  X