What rear chain will fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What rear chain will fit

Just a quick one for you guys. I am about to refit my swing arm after replacing the needle rollers and I find out I need a new rear chain. The one that was on the bike was a standard 530, no "O" rings, etc. If I buy an "O" ring chain will it fit OK . I was concerned that it might not have enough clearance around the gearbox sprocket and might rub on the gearbox housing. As the motor is out of the frame I cannot check it myself.

Can anyone help me out here with this please. The chain that I am looking at on EBAY is a "O" ring chain 530H. Will it fit my bike OK.

GS550B, 1977.

Why do you need to fit the chain now? can do that anytime u like

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
      Why do you need to fit the chain now? can do that anytime u like
      I don't wany to use a joining link if I can help it. Therefore I need to fit the chain at the same time as the swing arm goes on.

Good to hear from you SHARPY.

Comment

try here.................

Revolutionize your motorcycle & dirt bike riding experience with D.I.D Chains, the unrivaled choice for everyday riders and professional racers. Our chains, chain kits and motorcycle rims are designed to amplify your bike's performance and are now available online. Shop today and UNLEASH THE POWER OF PERFORMANCE!

First one , 4th from the bottom. I think thats yours

Comment

Hey SHARPY that is the chain I would need. But I still don't know if an "O" ring chain will fit.

That second article has a great piece on replacing the chain and using the rivetting tool. I bet that tool is worth a bit.

Thanks.

Comment

If you are having clearance issues do a 520 conversion. Modern 520 is plenty strong.

Comment

Is an O-ring chain wider than a non O-ring chain? If so, I didn't know that. Regardless, an O-ring chain is standard equipment for most of the GS550's so it will fit.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                Hey SHARPY that is the chain I would need. But I still don't know if an "O" ring chain will fit.

That second article has a great piece on replacing the chain and using the rivetting tool. I bet that tool is worth a bit.

Thanks.
                Don,

The rivetting tools for chains aren't all that expensive. I looked into getting one myself (a while back) and although I can't remember the exact price, it wasn't too bad.

Comment

yes oring fits' it is what is speced in the book. just get the did o-ring chain and be done with it. It is easy enough to do. also one these helps alot to getting the plates pressed on the pins

Discover the finest selection of motorcycle gear and protective equipment at Solomotoparts.com. Explore our extensive range of motorcycle clothing, helmets, and more, all available at competitive prices. Enjoy the convenience of free shipping on select items, ensuring a seamless shopping experience.

they usally can be had for about 20 bucks at bike shops. you will still need a rivet tool to press the rivet though.
                  78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                  82 Kat 1000 Project
                  05 CRF450x
                  10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post

Thanks.
                    If you arent a loner and have a mate/wife you can use a solid metal plate/hammer on the rear pin and a socket(8mm) with a extension on the front plate to "bash' the plate on then while still holding the rear pins steady with the plate/hammer just roll over the edges of the protruding pins to stop the plate from coming off. Just make sure you eye the plates to see if the line up with the other ones and arent too stiff when u squash the orings.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Is an O-ring chain wider than a non O-ring chain? If so, I didn't know that. Regardless, an O-ring chain is standard equipment for most of the GS550's so it will fit.
                      Thanks Ed. It looks like my 550 did come with an "O" ring chain, I found an exploded diagram in my Suzuki manual that showed the "O" rings installed. So the 530 X "O" ring chain I am purchasing should work OK.

What are the opinions on whether to use a joining link with clip as opposed to rivetting the joining link.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
                        Don,

The rivetting tools for chains aren't all that expensive. I looked into getting one myself (a while back) and although I can't remember the exact price, it wasn't too bad.
                        Dave you're right, the tools are not that expensive. So I will get one when I get a chance. I was surprised they were so cheap. Thanks.
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2009, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Interesting tidbit: - I was told recently that a lot of categories of motorcycle racing are now banning the removable links. They stipulate that the chain must be 'one piece' so to speak. Apparently there have been a few incidents in recent years where the clips on removable links have failed and the chains have come off at high speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
                            Interesting tidbit: - I was told recently that a lot of categories of motorcycle racing are now banning the removable links. They stipulate that the chain must be 'one piece' so to speak. Apparently there have been a few incidents in recent years where the clips on removable links have failed and the chains have come off at high speed.
                            Even my manual calls for an endless chain. These bikes that rev higher and quicker now have a habit of throwing the clip on the master link. It has happened to me a couple of times when I know the clip was installed right. I use a piece of safety wire in a figure 8 now and keep an eye on it. The wire has never been a problem.

Comment

I like to apply a dab of red rtv over the clip, makes it easy to see and check plus it helps hold the clip in place too.
                              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                              82 Kat 1000 Project
                              05 CRF450x
                              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
                              X