GS850 backfires and lacks power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 backfires and lacks power

I have a 79GS850, completely stock. My origninal problem was the #3 exhaust wasn't getting hot. After dipping and cleaning the carbs, I installed new intake boots and o rings, replaced all of the o rings in the carbs, new boots from air box to carbs, coil relay mod, etc. I took the bike around the block today and at first, it was sluggish but seemed to run better after a couple of minutes. So, I went home and shut the bike off. After about 15 minutes, I took her for a trip. Power was way down and there was a noticeable backfire through the pipes. Power was sluggish and the bike would lurch forward at times. Max rpm I could get was about 6K. But the good news is the #3 exhaust is getting hot now! The pilot fuel screws are at 3/4 turn out and the pilot air screws are at 1 turn out. It doesn't want to start unless I use the choke.

It's still lean - take the air screws out to between 1 1/2 - 2 turns

Did you use the fast idle method?

Have you synced the carbs?

If it doesn't start without the choke, most likely your pilot jets are still clogged.

What happens when you leave the choke part way on and ride it?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I will try and adjust the air screws out. I worked on it yesterday and it was backfiring through the pipes at idle. It sounded like a gun going off everytime! What is the fast idle method? The carbs were bench synched and vacum synched. It will start with the choke, but still backfires. I also haven't tried to leave the choke part way put and tried to ride it, but I will.

Comment

You're running really lean right now.

Richen it up especially on that idle circuit.

Comment

Just checking... you did install the air box with the air filter correct?

All air box seals are in good shape?

Comment

And the valve clearances have been checked and adjusted, right? RIGHT????
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

This is where I am at now. The airbox has been installed with the air filter in it and the seals are good. I worked on it some more last night and it got to the point where it wouldn't back fire anymore, but it had no power at all! I tried to ride it around the block and everytime I put it in gear it would die. It was also very hard to start. It didn't to start with or without the choke. The only way to get it to start was to give it a little throttle. I also noticed that now the #3 and #4 exhaust are not getting hot. I am really lost!

Comment

Working...
              X