Speedometer not metering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer not metering

I recently resurrected a 79 GS850. I took it for a short run today to get all the burps and farts out of it and noticed my speedo not responding. It's a mechanical speedometer, linked to the front wheel.

I disconnected the cable and made sure that it was spinning. Check.
    I pinched the spinning cable to see it it still spun when met with resistance. Check
    So that leaves the housing itself? I've never opened one or replaced one so I am in the dark as to what I should look for, or if I should even look.

Thanks

You disconnected the cable up top to see if the wheel spun it? Or disconnected it completely just to see if it wasn't snapped?

I had to shim up my speedo drive innards to keep it working, pics and description here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=138232

Comment

I just removed the cable from the back of the speedometer. It was spinning when I moved the bike.

Comment

If I can jump in on this thread......
        I was just at the shop getting tires on the GS550E and on the way home after about a mile the Speedometer just died. When I got it home I saw that the gear system was put in at an angle the put the cable in a acute angle, the rubber around the tight bend has cracked away.

I'm guessing not, but if I straightened out the kink would it work again maybe?

If not, would this > https://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1446 work to replace it?

Thanks for the Help!

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Imreallycrazy View Post
          If I can jump in on this thread......
          I was just at the shop getting tires on the GS550E and on the way home after about a mile the Speedometer just died. When I got it home I saw that the gear system was put in at an angle the put the cable in a acute angle, the rubber around the tight bend has cracked away.

I'm guessing not, but if I straightened out the kink would it work again maybe?

If not, would this > https://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1446 work to replace it?

Thanks for the Help!

Ben
          new cables are cheap and easy to find just about anywhere. It looks like the linked one will work as well as any. Trying to unkink a bent cable just isn't worth it.

Comment

speedo

Kung Fu,
            Your's stopped working all together? Mine just runs about ten mph slow, still scrathing my head about that one.
            You said the cable turns, have you disconnected from the wheel and tried hooking a drill to the cable to see if the speedo turns?
            Cracking the speedo open doesn't look easy, replacing them is a little costly.
            Good luck, bill

Comment

Working...
            X