Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clymer VS. Haynes owner manuals...which is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clymer VS. Haynes owner manuals...which is better?

I was wondering if any of you knew about Clymer and Haynes GS owner's manuals. Which is better?

Rudi
    1980 GS1100E

I have them both- but neither is as good as the factory repair manual. E-bay yourself one, you won't be dissapointed.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
      I have them both- but neither is as good as the factory repair manual. E-bay yourself one, you won't be dissapointed.
      I do have the original shop manual. (my uncle had paid $100 for it back in 1980 when he bought the bike). It's great...but it leaves out a detailed wiring diagram. Hap sent me one...but it would be nice to have it in the manual.

But overall, you're saying Clymer and Haynes aren't that good?

Rudi
      1980 GS1100E

Comment

I have the Haynes, and it seems there isn't as much useful details I found in Chiltons for cars. I'd be interested to see what people think of the Clymers one.

Comment

Clymer's

I have the Clymer's manual and it's not very good but far better than nothing. There are a number of things left out, a few out and out mistakes and several areas that are somewhat confusing. Overall, it's been fairly useful but I'm sure the Suzuki manual is much better.
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I do have the original shop manual. (my uncle had paid $100 for it back in 1980 when he bought the bike). It's great...but it leaves out a detailed wiring diagram. Hap sent me one...but it would be nice to have it in the manual.

You have the manual in the 3 ring binder? Mine has an incredible electrical diagram in it. Anyway, for electrical I would consider the Haynes a little better.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I had the Haynes manual for my '79 550L, and the Clymer for my '80 1000L, also the original shop manuals for both.

The shop manual for the 1000 is awesome. The shop manual for the 550 isn't quite as impressive, but still has lots of good numbers like torque and such.

I find the organization of the Haynes manual seems a bit more logical, and maybe the directions are a bit clearer -- although you may have to work out an "English"-English translation or two.

The Clymer manual, on the other hand, copies the torque tables and such from the shop manual (which I think the Haynes does not).

If you're looking for something to complement the shop manual, I would go with Haynes.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro

You have the manual in the 3 ring binder? Mine has an incredible electrical diagram in it. Anyway, for electrical I would consider the Haynes a little better.
                It came in the four ring binder! It's really great. In fact, my uncle recalls the Suzuki dealership being very hesitant in selling it to him. I guess they knew how good it was!

Rudi
                1980 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                X