Turn signals won't flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signals won't flash

Good evening gentlemen. After putting some hard bags on the old 1100g today my turn signals don't work. I have been through the search route and haven't quite found the answer to my problem.

I had to remove the bikes original turnsignals Hard bags had lights so I wired those in as turnsignals. Now all the lights come on but no flash.

I read somewhere that light wattage has to match or controller thinks one is not there and won't flash. Is that why I don't flash now?

Will changing to electronic flasher like BassCliff had done make them work? Self cancelling has not worked since I owned the bike anyway.

Basscliff doesn't have a manuel for 83 1100g --- does anyone know how and where to test.?

I'd have to say you have a bulb wattage issue if the light comes on but doesn't flash. I'm assuming they did flash properly before and I hazard a guess that the bulbs in the bags are of a different physical size or you would have changed them for the ones from your signals?

Also it is possible you have a bad bulb or corroded socket or even bad connections anywhere in the circuit(s). It is unlikely that the flasher module has gone bad but as it is likely original and if the wattage of the bulbs in the bags are different it may have been knocked out. That exact thing happened to my XS when I changed signals. It might be a good idea to update the flasher module as you're in there fiddling anyway.

I would clean all the contacts and the bulb sockets and then make sure you have good bulbs and of the same wattage.Sorry I'm not sure what wattage is called for as I've missplaced my manual but I'd guess that info would be in one of the manuals on Cliff's site.

Oddly, I had an issue with my signals on the GS this weekend and I found that it had to do with the signal buzzer I had installed. The buzzer had worked properly but stopped working on the left side. It would buzz but the signal wouldn't flash. Pulling the buzzer fixed it so I must assume it had somehow altered the wattage on that one side.

Let us know what you find it to be.

cheers,
    Spyug
    Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2009, 11:21 PM.

Comment

turn signals worked but wouldn't flash

I am having the same type of problem with my 1983 gs 750t ( I just bought it last week ). The turn signals worked but wouldn't flash, I located the flasher relay and removed it thinking that it was the poblem. today I wanted to ride so I put it back in so that they would at least be on and it blew the main fuse I replaced the fuse and it worked till I tried to use the turn signals and it blew the fuse again

Comment

I had the same problem with my GS650. All of my signals would light up but not blink. Visually check all of the turn signal bulbs and confirm that the elements are not broken. Replacing one half-burned-out bulb solved the issue for my bike.

Comment

New lights on hard bags not 23 watt. Put different lights on problem solved

Comment

Yep.. 23w or get an electronic flasher that doesn't have a problem with different loads.

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
            X