Getting a new stator...who to go with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a new stator...who to go with?

Whose had the best experiences with who?

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post

Thanks in advance!
    I think my original OEM was damaged in a get off and cracked the cover early on. I had to replace it within about a year and a half of it's being a new bike. That stator lasted me up until last fall. I replaced it with an RM Stator I got off of Ebay. So far so good. I never have taken any output readings to compare wattage. Sometime when I have the tank off maybe I'll check that.

Comment

I installed an electrosport stator, they don't have the best reputation for the american made ones but mine is working well, get an R/R from Duaneage and wire it with a fuse to the battery.

This will cause a drain but when i connected my R/R to the rear brake running light, my battery was overcharging and i got acid over flow.

Since i connected it directly to the battery never had a problem over charging.

You could mount a relay with a diode built into the aftermarket relay harness you get from Parts Express to prevent the R/R from getting fried from the electrical field collapsing and creating a shock to the internal components but i have not tried this.

Replace your terminals with copper ones, i used ones from home depot that allow me to use 2 guage wire and i ran new 4 guage cables for hot and ground and also used baking soda mixed with a little water to prevent more corrosion, it's worked great!

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post

Thanks in advance!
        Here read my feedback on how Electrosport/Electrix treated me :

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

They suck balls IMO.

Comment

Aftermarket Motorsport Electrics parts for motorcycles, dirtbikes, atvs, motosport vehicles manufactured and distributed by Rick's Motorsport Electrics

Comment

http://www.rmstator.com/en/index.php
            Very good guys to deal with, no problems and fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
              I think my original OEM was damaged in a get off and cracked the cover early on. I had to replace it within about a year and a half of it's being a new bike. That stator lasted me up until last fall. I replaced it with an RM Stator I got off of Ebay. So far so good. I never have taken any output readings to compare wattage. Sometime when I have the tank off maybe I'll check that.
              I would avoid the RM Stators. I installed a brand new RM stator in the GS1000 last spring and found it was the root cause of my charging problem. The battery charging voltage would only reach 14.1 V @ 2000 rpm and I do run some accessories like a VDO voltmeter & temperature gauge. It had a new Rick's R/R regulating the output. I then measured the RM Stator VAC output and it only managed 58 - 60 VAC @ 5000 rpm.

Basscliff also installed a RM Stator on his GS850 well over a year ago and it failed prematurely. RM Stator replaced his defective stator under warranty.
              Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
                I would avoid the RM Stators. I installed a brand new RM stator in the GS1000 last spring and found it was the root cause of my charging problem. The battery charging voltage would only reach 14.1 V @ 2000 rpm and I do run some accessories like a VDO voltmeter & temperature gauge. It had a new Rick's R/R regulating the output. I then measured the RM Stator VAC output and it only managed 58 - 60 VAC @ 5000 rpm.

Basscliff also installed a RM Stator on his GS850 well over a year ago and it failed prematurely. RM Stator replaced his defective stator under warranty.
                I guess I should get some readings sooner than later while it's still under warranty. Might take a look this afternoon.

Comment

Haha so I should avoid electrosport and rmstator. Anyone else?

I just bought an F4i R/R...can't wait for that to arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post

14.1 is what you want to see on the voltage and if it is reaching that at 2000RPM I can say it is working very well.

anything above 14.2 volts is to high.

with the Honda R&R that has the sensor wire, the closest to battery voltage you can get with the sensor wire the better. if you have a three volt drop from battery voltage on the tail light wire the regulator is going to adjust till it see's 14 volts on the tail light wire, and you will get 17 volts at the battery.

the coil power relay mod is a good place to hook up the R&R sensor wire as the relay for the coils will be realy close to the voltage found at the battery.

Comment

Ricks has a decent reputation, although they are more expensive than some other brands.

As a side note, the RM Stator and Electrosport parts look very similar or even identical - both their R/R's and stators. I'm wondering if they both purchase parts from the same Asian supplier and then sell them under their own names?
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hi,

Yes, I had an RMStator unit fail on me. But they were great to deal with and it was replaced under warranty. I would not hesitate to deal with them again.

I've also used an Electrosport part. It works fine too. I've never tried a Rick's part. But Rick's parts are more expensive, therefore they must be better.

I've got a list of related stuff in the mega-welcome. Feel free to click the links, do some research, and have fun shopping.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Cliff would you suggest the RM people? I get a lot of suggestions for them. I'm not too worried about long term because I plan to rewind my stocker and see how that works (going to try 16g wire) for getting a higher output...then resell the RM if all goes to plan. In case it doesn't, I do want a good stator and I want it from a good company that stands behind their product.

Comment

+1 on the Ricks stators and regulators.

Comment

stator

I used to work for Rick's re-winding stators and rebuilding starter motors, and I must say you couldn't find a better product if you tried. Rick also stocks new stators along with everything else you would ever need for your motorcycle's electric system. They stand behind their product, and are just all around great people to deal with!!

Comment

Working...
                              X