82 gs1100g carb questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs1100g carb questions

hey great website and awesome carb rebuild guide.i wouldnt have had the courage to tackle the rebuild without.i have searched the forums and havent found the answers.maybe i have read to many posts.anyways my questions are. 1 i am running sportster tank wiyh a gravity petcock,can i just plug the vaccum port on carb#2? 2 i have emgo pod filters,4 into1 pipe with the muffler cut off(bought it that way) and elevation is about 800ft absl where i live,what is a good starting point to tune from? 3 shimming the needle? i dont have a washer on the needle jet the only washer i see is the washer under the main jet. btw this is a pos rat bike im not worried about top performance just want it to run halfway decent. thanks in advance for any help

I'll start to get this bumped.
    1) Yes, you can simply plug the vacuum tube on the #2 intake.
    2) I'll let someone else who has recently jetted chime in here.
    3) Little confused on this one. I think you need to remove the needle jet that sits in the vacuum slide and shim that so it sits physically higher in the slide. No extra washers are needed on the actual main jet and holder.

Comment

Gretings and Salutations!

Hi Mr. nwcrowder,

Generally, with pods and pipes, you need to go up a couple of sizes on all your jets. Use the "plug chop" method to fine tune the carburetor configuration. It's not an exact science. Search for jetting posts by KEITH KRAUSE. There are also informational links on my website. Let me roll out the welcome mat for you.

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not your, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

basscliff thanks for the welcome.could someone post a link or pic of the washer that needs to be replaced or were it goes to shim the needle to richen up the pilot circuit. i guess i am a dummy because ther was no nylon washer on the needle jet.also specs on float height? go with the manual? i was going to start with 125 on the main jet 2.5 turns on the mixture screws and leave the pilot at 40.any advice and help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

The shimming is acomplished by completely removeing the slides from the carb bodies

Inside the top odf the slide is a snap ring. Remove the snap ring and the needle will come out. On top of the needle is a nylon washer about 3-4mm thick.

Replace the nylon washer with smaller thickness washers of your choice. this creates a richer mixture or allows more fuel to flow.

Reassemble the slides and install back into carb bodies making sure to align the tab of the rubber diaphram on the top of the carb body.

Put the caps back on the carbs and start her up.

Note: This isn't a sub for jetting. Just a way to make the bike run a little richer and take advantage of the full power band. This procudure can be acomplished with the carbs on the bike, no need to remove them.

Jim
          GS Score Card
          4-400 Series GS's
          3-500 Series
          1-600 Series
          1-700 Series
          4-800 Series
          1-1000 Series
          2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
          sigpic

Comment

thanks jimfj i got it now.i dont know why i didnt see that