Can I run pods with no carb changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I run pods with no carb changes?

I just purchased a 1985 GS550L with high idle issues. When we turned the idle down it would almost die, then rev up, now its running OK at about 4k. Carb was rebuilt by a semi-competent mechanic a few months ago. Anyway, I am in the process of replacing the intake boots and o-rings when I notice the underside of the left airbox is bent, creased kinda, like the clamp was WAY overtightend and left that way. I now believe that may be the source of my intake leak resulting in high idle.

My question is, rather than spend alot of money on a replacment airbox, can I just throw pods on there? I know the increased airflow can result in a lean condition (again) but is there any way to perhaps restrict them to bring that more inline with OE specs? Maybe put some covers on them? I really don't want to go into the carbs this season as i'm not sure I possess the mechanical acumen to do them (yet).

Any advice or comments are welcome, bit of a n00b here, and thanks.

Path of least resistance is to find a proper airbox. Pods will result in lean jetting and lots of fussing until you get it sorted.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

yeah, figured as much.

By the air box being bent, I mean the opening going out to the left-side carb. I'm gonna try hanging a channel lock on the crease overnight and see if that straightens it enough to run until the replacement comes in.

Comment

If you don't yet have the mechanical acumen to go into the carbs, you don't want to install pods, because that will force you go go into the carbs to rejet.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi Mr. mostholycerebus,

Mr. Nessism speaks wisely. Putting pods on will require some fiddling, sometimes quite a bit of fiddling. Even if you restrict the airflow, you will still need to check your plugs (plug chops) to see if the combustion is nominal.

CLICK HERE for more information. Visit the Factory Pro link to get an idea of how to perform plug chops.

Just be informed of what you're getting into. Consider what's cheaper:

Pods + hours of experimentation + perhaps buying a jet kit + running too lean and burning a valve

Or...

A used stock airbox + reassembly and configure to factory specs (a known quantity)

I know. I'm an old fuddy duddy. I like simple, boring, stock.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Yeah, i see a decent used on on ebay now. Bike bandit was showing $158 which prompted me to ask.

Another quick Q, please tell me simply removing and re-installing the carbs to change the boots and rings does NOT require any carb re-balancing.

Comment

Another quick Q, please tell me simply removing and re-installing the carbs to change the boots and rings does NOT require any carb re-balancing.
              No you don't have to sync them but how do you know if they are synced to begin with. It is better to check them then you know it has been done.

Comment

you will need to rebalance your carbs, sorry, by replacing the boots and o-rings you are sealing up any previous air leaks that would effect the carbs and give you a false balance. With everything now being sealed you can actually balance your carbs so they are all sucking the same amount of air.

with new boots/o-rings, cleaned carbs and the air box installed right you should be able to get it to idle around 1200 rpms

did the mech that did your carbs dip them and replace all the orings inside the carbs? If not i would start there and rebuild them yourself like in the clean up series, it should be pretty easy.

opps forgot to add if your air box is kinked and you can flatten it out some how and hold it that way with clamps, throw the box in the oven at 150/200 degrees for a hour or two, the heat will help the plastic relax. then leave it in there clamped untill it's cool to the touch.
                Last edited by first timer; 03-16-2009, 02:30 PM.
                78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x
                10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. The mechanic is an old hand experienced with these carbs, even my 'weird' 2x 2-barrel setup. He said he replaced everything internal, and I believe him. He was a friend of the previous owner. I think what he may have done is accidentally overtighten the clamp around the left side intake, which caused it to buckle later and leak air inside.

First Timer, thanks, I was wondering if there was a way to just slightly heat the plastic and bend it back. I may try that next. I'm not adverse to an ebay box, but when buying used from a stranger you never know if your trading one problem for two.

Originally posted by almarconi
                  I don't know if people are just lazy or ignorant but doing a job half-assed always seem to take longer than doing it right the first time.
                  In this case, ignorant. I've had my M classification for 4 months, and my ride time solely consists of the MSF course. I've owned the bike, my first, for just about 24 hours now, 3 of which were spent replacing all the intake boots and orings with new. I've no problem replacing what needs it, but of course i'd like to save what I can. I'm plenty handy with a car, and tuning ECMs, but this is my first bike. If you have anything else helpful to add I sure appreciate it, but if your sole purpose is to demean newbies asking questions about their classic Suzuki, your off-topic and i'd appreciate it more if you step the hell out of my thread.

Comment

Originally posted by mostholycerebus View Post
                    I was wondering if there was a way to just slightly heat the plastic and bend it back. I may try that next.
                    I would try that with a heatgun (hot air) first

Comment

Originally posted by mostholycerebus View Post
                      If you have anything else helpful to add I sure appreciate it, but if your sole purpose is to demean newbies asking questions about their classic Suzuki, your off-topic and i'd appreciate it more if you step the hell out of my thread.
                      I think Al's comment was focused on previous work done to your bike, and your need to do a complete job for happy results, as trying to "fix the fix" leads too many new owners to post up over and over about the same problem.

I note that you mention O rings, did the ones in the carbs get replaced also?
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

back in the day, the virago riders would install pod filters and install a washer to restrict the air flow so that rejetting wasnt necessary...looked great as i recall...

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                          I note that you mention O rings, did the ones in the carbs get replaced also?
                          My understanding is that the prev owner had them rebuilt, including internals. I spoke briefly with the mechanic and he seemed to know what he was talking about around these carbs, but I can't say with certainty what was/wasn't replaced. Regarding new internal orings. i'd sure appreciate if anyone has a good source, as i have already contacted Mr Barr and he does not carry them for these 'weird' 2x 2-barrel carbs.

Its together and running, but now idles real rough at under 2k and dies. Then it ran for about 30min at 2k and died, wouldn't start, battery low.

I may just hit the books on carb rebuilding, toss in some Dynajet stage 3's with pods and a 4-in-1 while i'm in there. That will run OK as a drop-in right? It may take a lot of tries to get it smooth, but working around that airbox is a freaking nightmare.

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Comment

only way to get orings for this would be to pull the ones in there, measure them and order some new vitron rings from mcmaster carr that are the closest you can find to what you measured.

There are a few guys that have these 1983+ 550's that should all run the same carbs I would start asking them what they did to sort out these carbs.

yes pods and jet kit would work. I would cross referance the carb specs of the 83 550 16 valve in the sticky at the top of this section and see if your carbs have the same internals. If they do then you can go about ordering a jet kit for the 83 550 from dynojet and get some matching k and n filters.

I would first trying to get the bike working with what you have then go to the pods otherwise it is just going to be that much more difficult dianosing the problem the farther you get from stock settings. At least you know if it is all stock and set to the factory settings it should work in theory.
                            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                            82 Kat 1000 Project
                            05 CRF450x
                            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I dont know if it is the same, but I you can have the air box off of my '82 550. I am not going to use it.

Comment

Working...
                              X