Help me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me

ok guys i have spent the last 5 days trying to figure out how to take my drive shaft off and nothin i seem to do works

i have a 80/82 gs 850g trying to switch out the engines i need to know what all i need to do to take the driveshaft off as of now i have the tire,swingarm,and bolts holding on the round plate,and a long bolt nearby off and still wont budge do i need to use more elbow greese of is there somehting im not doing?

There are four bolts holding the driveshaft onto the output flange on the engine just ahead of the u-joint. When the swingarm is in place, you have to peel back the rubber boot to access the bolts with a thin wrench. These are short 8mm bolts (12mm hex heads) with thread locker, so it takes some muscle to get them loose. Make sure you use thread locker when you re-assemble, and use only the correct OEM bolts.

Be warned that the driveshafts are very slightly different between 79-81 and 82-83 engines. The flanges where they bolt onto the engine are just a tiny bit different. If you're doing an engine transplant, you need to get the correct driveshaft for the engine. Test-fit the driveshaft and make sure you can bolt the driveshaft onto the engine you want to use. (Guess how I learned this... go on, guess... )
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      There are four bolts holding the driveshaft onto the output flange on the engine just ahead of the u-joint. When the swingarm is in place, you have to peel back the rubber boot to access the bolts with a thin wrench. These are short 8mm bolts (12mm hex heads) with thread locker, so it takes some muscle to get them loose. Make sure you use thread locker when you re-assemble, and use only the correct OEM bolts.

Be warned that the driveshafts are very slightly different between 79-81 and 82-83 engines. The flanges where they bolt onto the engine are just a tiny bit different. If you're doing an engine transplant, you need to get the correct driveshaft for the engine. Test-fit the driveshaft and make sure you can bolt the driveshaft onto the engine you want to use. (Guess how I learned this... go on, guess... )
      thank you very much lol i also figured this out the hard way due to the fact that i had decided to go back and work on it a little more and with greesy fingers i wont surf the net but i did get it and the other motor mountedeverything turns great just need to wire it up and fire her up need to take the 80 nstater and electronic ignition off and put it on the 83 should be alot of fun..haha wouldnt be bad if the stater screws didnt strip as i tried taking them out so i got a impact driver so tomorrow morning i will get up and do that hopefully tonight i will be back on my bike =]] p.s. anyone a gypsy in this club?

Comment

Where on this big blue globe are you? Might be a GS-er in your neighborhood next time you're in a bind.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
        X