key only works in ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

key only works in ignition

i had a key made from my 81 gs550t ignition and for some reason it only turns in the ignition not the gas tank, any known solutions? thanks-sam

I'm assuming that you made a duplicate from your original that worked on both?
    You could try taking it back to the store and getting another re-cut (Usually they do that for free since you paid for a key that works and clearly this one doesn't work as intended)
    I got keys cut for my apartment and the key that works the front door also opens the laundry room, but for some reason the Home Depot I went to had a run of keys where they would fit in the front door and physically would not fit into the laundry room. No idea why because they looked identical, but I went elsewhere and got a key cut at another location and it worked fine.

Comment

no i had no original and i took it too a locksmith, is there some reason they would be different keys?

Comment

Could be each side is cut different? Anyone know?

--nity

Comment

They are supposed to be the same key. As with all older bikes, cars, ect...it is hard telling if things were, at some point, changed.

If I had to guess, I'de say the either the ignition or the fuel cap has been changed at some point...

Comment

i read somewhere on the forum that it may be possible to open it with an uncut blank?

Comment

If you can't figure it out, a locksmith should be able to re-key the tumbler to match the ignition for a small fee, supposing you can get the cap out of course.

Comment

Does the key work the seat lock ?? LOOK very close their may be a 3 digit # that is the key code. It may be different if one or the other have been replace

Comment

i havent tried it in the seatlock yet, and i could just get another key made for the tank but dont want to let go of another 42$ , also im not quite sure how id get the gas cap off without a large drill bit

Comment

Working...
                  X